Help - New Scroller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhouse

Reaction score
So after much contemplation i decided to take the plunge and purchase a scroll saw. Got it today unwrapped it, set it up, got all eager and then thought right lets start with some free standing letters or a name in thin MDF to get me started.................... thats when i realised i don't have a clue where to start!! :? I was hoping to try and do my childrens names in a joined up style of writing, but after spending about half an hour trawling through microsfot word, i can't find a joined up font that would be suitable to cut round.

Looking on some other peoples sites they seem to have the disney style font and things like that. Any ideas where i can get styles for what i'm wanting to do?????

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

When I need a specific style of font for a project I usually google for 'free fonts'. Have a look at http://www.1001freefonts.com/ for a start - you can download quite a bit. However, the biggest problem is actually finding what you want as many fonts are strictly licensed for use only after purchase and you have to search through offerings for lookalike free offerings. Obviously they won't have the same name but often the names are derivative. Of course also search for free Disney fonts.

Another problem you may find is getting the font to be the right size and chunky enough. The ordinary font tools in Word are limited, but Word does include 'Word Art' that allows you to treat words as graphic items that can be manipulated by streching, bending and adjusted. The best thing is to have a play with it - look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312802 for info on how to get started.

Misterfish

inkscape is free and good, its a bit complicated till you find out how to do it'
john

Back