New motor for Axminster Perform

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenOakMan

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined as I would like to find out if anyone knows where I can get a new motor for my Perform lathe? I got it second hand last year but the motor stopped and didn’t get going even after a new capacitor (and local engineering firm told me it was dead).
Desperate to get turning so any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Ben

Is it the Axminster Perform ccl?
I'd give Axminster a ring, they're very helpful and may have some old stock or point you in right direction.
Maybe an electric motor engineers shop could check it to see if a rewind would fix it.?

When you say a local engineering firm told you the motor was dead, was that their technical opinion based on just looking at it or was it their opinion after tinkering around with it?

8 years ago the induction motor on my Nutool table saw was declared dead by someone local to me who supposedly knew a bit about them, I got a second opinion from Wyre Repairs in Maidenhead and they fixed it up a treat.

Sorry if you've tried this already
But did you try making sure the shaft for the Reeves drive is is lubed with PTFE,
and mess around with the speed whilst spinning something chucked or between centres,
changing speeds somewhere on the faster setting.
Worked for me a few times.

Good luck
Tom

Hi All,
Just joined as I would like to find out if anyone knows where I can get a new motor for my Perform lathe? I got it second hand last year but the motor stopped and didn’t get going even after a new capacitor (and local engineering firm told me it was dead).
Desperate to get turning so any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Ben
As has already been said try Axminster tools If no joy there google for ELECTRIC MOTOR rewinds in your area .

Dear All, Thanks for your replies/comments. I have actually just got a quote for a rewing of the motor which is £444 so I’m looking elsewhere for answers (!).
I’ll definitely try Axminster and see where I go from there.

Thanks again,
Ben

Dear All, Thanks for your replies/comments. I have actually just got a quote for a rewing of the motor which is £444 so I’m looking elsewhere for answers (!).
I’ll definitely try Axminster and see where I go from there.

Thanks again,
Ben
Could you buy a complete working lathe for that kind of money?

Just buy a new motor, anything under 16Kw is more often than not, just not worth getting rewound. But before doing this make sure your motor is really shot and it is not just something simple.

If you have already taken it somewhere for a looksee, can you take a photo of it and post it here?

The motor hopefully will have a data plate on it, which will tell you a lot about the specifications of a suitable replacement. The other two factors are the mounting style (e.g. flange mounted, foot mounted) and the shaft size/diameter.

Latest posts

Back