Help needed with old Sedgwick PT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I've just bought an old Sedwick planer thicknesser on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110971741884). It's been converted from three phase to single phase with a 13A 2.2kW motor for the knives and a .5kW motor for the feed roller. It needs a bit of tlc so first I'd like to identify which model it is. It has a 308mm cutter block which would suggest it's an MB but the tables are only 1250mm long and modern MB's have much longer tables. The outfeed table has obviously been replaced as it's a different colour.

Secondly the chain from the roller feed motor to the rollers is very loose, there's about 50mm of sideways movement. The problem is the motor can't be moved any more to tension the chain as the casing fouls the rise and fall barrel so do I need to take some links out of the chain? How do I go about this?

Any other advice very welcome

Many thanks

Nick

Edit: here's a couple of (fairly poor) photos

PT1.jpg

PT2.jpg

I used to have an old MB. I seem to recall a number/code stamped into the edge of the table, along the rebate edge? . I think mine was a 308? The 1250 long tables is correct for the older models, 1500 being the size of only the newest. The thickness capacity also changed over the years, as did the no of cutter block knives fro 2 to 3. If you contact Sedgwick with the number/code and or the thicknessing capacity they should be able to give you an age. I would be guessing late 1970s. With regards the slack chain, could you have some links removed, how about a jockey wheel to tension it?

Colin

Nick,

It looks very much like my 12" MB. A bit shorter in the tables though.

The chain in mine looks like average Motor-cycle chain, and would probably respond to an appropriate chain splitter.
I really can't get at it at the moment, so I can't measure the deflection, to help you. Although mine is 20 plus years old anyhow; I had it from new. There's no evidence that it needs any adjustment on the chain either, but I appreciate it would depend on how much use your planer has had. I can't say mine has been worked as much as if it had been in a pro shop of course. I have power-feed for the thicknesser, and I presume yours would have this too. (Of course it does. I can see the gearing and switch gear and everything! :oops: )

I wouldn't be without mine. It's a great machine.
Not teaching egg-sucking, but yours is missing the chain guard; which I expect you know.
I'm answering the wrong post here! Duhhhh. Maybe you just removed the guard too! :oops:

Sorry I can't be more help. :)

Thanks for replies. Yes I removed the cover to check the motor ratings. The seller had a 13A plug with a nail in place of the fuse!

Nicknoxx":30scg6ab said:
Thanks for replies. Yes I removed the cover to check the motor ratings. The seller had a 13A plug with a nail in place of the fuse!

I had my planer wired straight from the Consumer Unit, through its own control box, on (I think) a 16 amp fuse. Anyhow, it doesn't dim the lights!

:lol:

Hi, Nick

A stretched chain runs higher on the sprockets and wears them out, its best to get a new chain.

Pete

I don't think the chain is stretched, I suspect that it was slightly too long when the new motor was fitted and can't be adjusted properly. I've ordered a motorbike chain splitter so I can take a link out.

Back