Help - I've started down the slippery slope!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
This could be the start of a plane fettish :shock:

While watching the Woodwork Channel My mouse happened to click on the banner to Lie-Nielsen's site, and what should I see but they are now doing replacement blades for the old style Stanley 60 1/2which I have been after for a while as my one has less than 1/32 of usable length left. Hopefully I can avoid dinging the blade on site until it arrives (out of stock for 2-3wks)

I now have to decide whether to keep the old plane with new blade as my site block plane or take the newer one that I keep on the bench out to site and save the better(possibly more brittle) new blade/plane for the workshop.

I hope this won't be the start of a disease that has affected many of the members of this forum :wink:

Jason

Jason,

You have already caught the disease I am afraid. It's axiomatic that as soon as you start to question the symptoms, you already have it. You are in imminent danger of buying the real thing i.e., the LN 60 1/2.

Of course, there is a cure, just read the latest guff from Axminster "Enhance your woodworking pleasure - buying and using Lie-Nielsen will make it complete and attract admiration from your peers."

I know you want our admiration - just buy it! Or better, buy a Veritas, we won't admire you - but then we all have a cross to bear. :wink: And you will have a nice plane that works well.

waterhead37":1zpfz9i9 said:
"Enhance your woodworking pleasure - buying and using Lie-Nielsen will make it complete and attract admiration from your peers."

Chris loves that phrase! He's using it everywhere at the moment! :lol: :lol: :wink:

The LN 60 1/2 is an absolutely luuuurvely plane though Jason ...... although now you're on the slope you won't need convincing about things like that any more! :lol:

waterhead37":1u2lm3rz said:
I know you want our admiration - just buy it! Or better, buy a Veritas, we won't admire you - but then we all have a cross to bear. :wink:
:lol:

I think you already crossed the Rubicon when you clicked on the link, Jason. Fatal error I'm afraid. [-(

Philly, "whizzing by"? Who are you kidding? We could all be sliding for years before we saw the back of your head from a distance! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":273panhp said:
waterhead37":273panhp said:
I know you want our admiration - just buy it! Or better, buy a Veritas, we won't admire you - but then we all have a cross to bear. :wink:
:lol:

I think you already crossed the Rubicon when you clicked on the link, Jason. Fatal error I'm afraid. [-(

Philly, "whizzing by"? Who are you kidding? We could all be sliding for years before we saw the back of your head from a distance! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Come on Alf, be fair Philly has started selling the odd plane on e-bay.

Jason, welcome to the slope.

Waka":34c5qqpr said:
S'okay; the saw accumulation seems to be preventing any slow down in the rate of decent... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

JasonB
Another eminently acceptable alternative would be to buy the LN 60 1/2 AND a spare blade for your existing plane for site use. :twisted:
Regards
Martin

jasonB":2u0tjg6z said:
replacement blades for the old style Stanley 60 1/2
Jason

http://www.uktoolshop.com/catalogue/hock.htm

and Craftsman's Choice (DC's fave) offer Japanese laminated blades for block planes.

http://www.shokunin.com/ -> on-line_store -> planes -> (catagory "kanna ho")

(I can't deep link...)

list":2u0tjg6z said:
Code Description [Click for info] Size Price (£) Options
SL5800 Kanna Ho (Plane Irons) 35mm (Block Plane - 3 grooves through blade) £ 20.35
Add this item to basket

View details
SL5801 Kanna Ho (Plane Irons) 40mm (Block Plane - 3 grooves through blade) £ 19.20
Add this item to basket

View details
SL5802 Kanna Ho (Plane Irons) 40mm (Block Plane - 11 surface notches) £ 23.27
Add this item to basket

View details
SL5803 Kanna Ho (Plane Irons) 50mm (Smoothing/Narrow Bench Planes) £ 24.62
Add this item to basket

View details
SL5804 Kanna Ho (Plane Irons) 60mm (Wide Smoothing/Bench Planes) £ 25.70
Add this item to basket

View details

BugBear

I've got a bad case of the shakes at the moment: just had a pore over the L-N site, and found myself seriously contemplating the locknife they're doing now. Must... resist.... Focus on essential tools... Not just stuff that looks nice.... Oh God - the solidity of the mortice chisels.... The near totally pointless for me, but somehow satisfying to own high angle frog.... Ahhhh.... the rush, the rush. Ooops - my credit card just spontaneously ignited...

Alf":3oul30kh said:
Waka":3oul30kh said:
S'okay; the saw accumulation seems to be preventing any slow down in the rate of decent... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

You're right, makes you wonder why he bought yet another BS :lol: :lol:

My old Mum always used to say "You can never have too many saws...."
Or maybe that was me? :lol:
Philly :D
Doing his best for the economy

And they are £13.50 delivered , I will have to get one myself as I also have a Stanley 60 1/2 with a blade that is on the way out

Latest posts

Back