Help in identifying these woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add that poplar can some times move a bit which can be one of the down sides of using it

Don't know much about the tropical hardwoods, but the one that many are suggesting as poplar certainly does look like poplar. I'm a little bit skeptical about that though, as I can't think of a use for it in conservatory construction, as it isn't a durable exterior wood. If it is poplar, it will probably be lighter(weight) and softer than the tropical hardwoods. It is certainly noticeably lighter and softer than oak or walnut. Probably comparable to cherry, though cherry can still be heavier and harder than poplar.

Colin C":31msippb said:
Poplar can be used for lot of things as it has been used for furniture but was stained to look like walnut or mahogany.

I hope thats a start :)

It has also been used to mimic cherry. I use it quite often for drawer sides as I get a fair amount of it free from my neighbour.

Brad

Barry,

Just checked with a mate who has a joinery business and he recently had some poplar planks 350mm wide.

Yes, it is not durable for outside and yes he has seen a number of conservatories built with it! Hence work to repair them where the customers have insisted on using the same wood! Internal cills have been made with it instead of piranha pine which used to often be used.

aldel":oqn9fq0y said:
Barry,

Yes, it is not durable for outside and yes he has seen a number of conservatories built with it!
:shock: :shock:

I've used poplar for shed doors, but that's because I got the poplar for free, and when I need to repair/replace them, I'll be no worse off for it. But I would never use it to make exterior work for a customer.

Brad

Latest posts

Back