Help in identifying these woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't agree with the oak, beech or poplar ideas. For me they are all tropical species - the red ones sapele, meranti, or utile - take your pick!

Wood no 1 is more puzzling. My guess would be idigbo but I'm not 100% sure.

Nice find, anyway, Barry. Enjoy!

Big Dunk I am unsure of the poplar as from what I remember of a poplar tree you would find it hard to get a piece 260 X 50mm and before I cut it to fit it in it was 12' long.
Barry

Sorry Aldel looking at 3 other sites(UK) I am sure you are right but could not find one wider than 225mm
Thanks
Barry

No. 1 looks like tulipwood to me anyway, but for me what makes me think it really is may just be digital artefact - it seems to have a little of that characteristic greenish tinge, especially bottom right.

Cant you just call the company and ask what woods they use??.....or would that spoil the fun of guessing?

tiler99":c8hdxrd0 said:
Cant you just call the company and ask what woods they use??.....or would that spoil the fun of guessing?
Now that is like looking at the answers to the crossword before you're finished it. :shock: :wink:

DaveL":2wy1j5zk said:
tiler99":2wy1j5zk said:
Now that is like looking at the answers to the crossword before you're finished it. :shock: :wink:
Are you saying you have never done it? :wink: :D

I asked what is that - the answer was wood - that wood - I am a glass fitter.
The other guy clearing was using a chainsaw chopping up wood for his fire - all wood to him was firewood.
Barry
ps I will photograph two more pieces of the poplar/idigbo?

wood5.jpg

Idigbo/poplar?

LyNx":2fotz78t said:
For poplar try "tulip". US version

cough, cough - we are in the UK so poplar it is then - or is it dado and not groove :wink:

That's a myth, it seems (one I believed until very recently).

Tulipwood is from a magnolia Liriodendron tulipifera, which is sometimes (in the US) called 'yellow poplar', although it isn't a poplar at all.

Poplars (and aspens) are a different genus, populus.

Sorry, there seems to be some confusion.

In the photo above I agree on poplar. The idigbo is the shorter piece shown laying on the blue carpet and to the left of the job lot photo.

Aldel

interesting that most of us have no idea what poplar can be used for, but a recent check through the pop woodworking spin off, woodworking,
suggested using it for a workbench in the old style. :?

paul :wink:

Poplar can be used for lot of things as it has been used for furniture but was stained to look like walnut or mahogany.

I hope thats a start :)

Back