Help I'm in a quandry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Scheppach Deco 405 from Machine Mart on the 19th of this month

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... croll-saws
still waiting for it to be shipped from Derby (30miles away) phoned up today says he will have it in on friday.

Since then I have seen the AWFS18 at Axminster

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Now I dont know what to do should I stick with the Scheppach or go with the AWFS18?
Which is the best of the two?
Does the AWFS take pinless blades?
Do they both have easy blade change (quick release)?

What are your views I need to know very soon if I am to cancel the order with Machine Mart

Thanks in advance
Phil

Now I dont know what to do should I stick with the Scheppach or go with the AWFS18?

I can't answer that because I've no personal experience of either machine. I've heard it said that the AWFS is a clone of the Hegner and comparing exploded parts diagrams seems to reinforce this opinion.

Which is the best of the two?

Both will have their strengths and weaknesses. The AWFS will probably be similar to a Hegner 2VS.

Does the AWFS take pinless blades?

Yes.

Do they both have easy blade change (quick release)?

Blade changing is not quick on the AWFS unless you buy a Hegner 'Quick Release' upper arm clamp to replace the clamp supplied with the AWFS. If the lower clamp is the same as a Hegner, it won't be quick to release. You'll have to remove it from the lower arm and unscrew the blade using a mechanical aid. Hegners use clock keys but I believe the AWFS uses an allen key.

The Scheppach appears to have a simple thumbscrew upper clamp which should be quick to use, but it's difficult to tell from the photo how the lower clamp operates.

There are some Scheppach owners on this forum who have discussed the saw - if you run a search you'll find threads such as this one.

Gill

Back