Help identifying Grandad's tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, there was a shoe lathe in the shed. Never knew he fixed shoes, but must have done!
And yeah, the drill has definitely had some beating on the other end. There were some separate rawlplug tools in the box as well, makes me very appreciative of the SDS+...
Err, did you mean a cobbler’s last?

Tool 3 is a glazing iron! I found it in Salaman's Leather working Tools book.
You can still buy them Glazing Iron | George Barnsley and Sons
We found one in my grandparents junk along with a cast-iron last (or "cobbler's anvil") with 3 feet.
He wasn't a cobbler - I reckon they were domestic tools too, not just trade, and people had them to look after their own shoes/boots.
Salaman's book is amazing - page after page of mostly unfamiliar and very strange tools with strange names: "narrow fudge wheel, stabbing pricker, welt knife , waist wheel, janking wheel" and so on!

Last edited:
Dont tell me you have never heard of the kids bubble bath from the 60s called Matey . You realy have lead a sheltered life you would make a bus stop feel worldly wise 😉
It's still available!

Ahem... I feel your exclamation is unjustified owing to the fact i called it on the other page...
So you did! I missed it.
The exclamation was because I was surprised to find out what it was, even though we'd had one kicking around in a drawer for years.

Back