Help identifying Grandad's tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dw1k

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been getting Grandad's old tools out, sharpening and getting them onto some wood again, but there are a few that I haven't seen before. Does anyone know what these are? If it helps, I believe were used in anger around the 1920s-1940s.
One I presume is a drill, but just wondered if it had any particular use, or just a general bit, as most of them were auger type bits for a brace or standard twist drills.

Thanks all!

Dave

Attachments

• Scraper 1.jpg
    Scraper 1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tool 2.jpg
    Tool 2.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tool 3.jpg
    Tool 3.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tool 4.jpg
    Tool 4.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tool 1.jpg
    Tool 1.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Drill whole.jpg
    Drill whole.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Drill Tip.jpg
    Drill Tip.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 0
tool 2/3 is a nail puller, scraper 1 is for scraping off hot hide glue and pressing down the veneer when veneering and is called a veneer hammer, tool 1 as per @Inspector , driil looks like a homemade holesaw possibly for getting into deep stuck screws

Oh I'll have to give the Saw wrest a go; have got a few saws worthy of sharpening with the tools, bit of a change of my usual disposable ones.
Never would have found any of those, fascinating about the veneer hammer and the nail remover. I was thrown by the lack of notch with the nail puller, would have expected a groove like a claw hammer.
Thanks all, does mean a lot and really appreciated

I'm with Inspector about the "veneer hammer". One of those definitely wouldn't have a blade likely to dig in to the veneer. Not convinced that's a nail remover either. As in all cases with these doubtful tools, suggest something for leather/shoe work. Think I've seen one, but can't remember where or what (it's probably under a heap of dust and shavings in my workshop........)

Is the drill thing mushroomed on the end? Before my time but pre-hammer drill there was a lot of hitting and rotating things somewhat like that with actual hammers.

Its a star drill of some kind isn't it? THe hexagonaly thing with a hole in it that looks like a punch is a rawl plug punch. They work surprisingly well.

The cobblers tool is a glazing iron.

And i think the scraper might be a cobblers tool aswell for scraping soles before the next layer? They sometimes use glass.

Is the drill thing mushroomed on the end? Before my time but pre-hammer drill there was a lot of hitting and rotating things somewhat like that with actual hammers.
Rawlplug tools, but they were solid spikes with three flutes along the shaft,,,brings back horrible memories of plugging concrete walls for pipe clips!
Steve

Huh, there was a shoe lathe in the shed. Never knew he fixed shoes, but must have done!
And yeah, the drill has definitely had some beating on the other end. There were some separate rawlplug tools in the box as well, makes me very appreciative of the SDS+...

No 3 is a home made punch for knocking holes through brickwork in the days before hammer drills.
You get a length of gas pipe and cut some teeth on one end.
Hit the other end with a club hammer whilst rotating it and it cuts a neat hole.
Made and used them myself a long time ago.

No 1 - Sagger-makers Bottom knocker
No 2 - a Weysgoose

Sorry being silly this morning but I did enjoy Call my Bluff on TV and I remember they were two items that stumped the panel

Back