HELP!!! Gluing up advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, too purty for the Tate :lol:

I'll resist going into a free-form dissertation on the irony that every single piece of "art" in the Tate, St Ives is totally overshadowed by the view from the windows...

Ooops :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Noel - what size clamps are you using there - I'm trying to figure out what set of new clamps to buy that will give me the most versatility.

Was going to buy 12x 300mm Bessey UniKlamps but not sure if they are good for everything (not much more expensive than F Clamps).

I went a bit mad a few years ago and somehow ended up with about 50 F clamps. All Bessey or similar. Used to find them in Germany in their local DIY stores, ranging from 6" to 36". About 3 or 4 euro each.
Have half a dozen Uniklamps, all 600mm and they are excellent. As Chris mentioned more medium duty than heavy duty but great for most jobs, including the one you have. A few of these and a handful of F clamps will make a good starter pack.

Rgds

Noel

No problem CYC. Just ensure the corners are dead on 90 degrees.
Personally I find ply the best material.

Rgds

Noel

If you're using ply - how do you find the edges and potential marking of the work? I've got a load of 18mm ply left over from my workshop build but it doesn't finish very well on the edges (some of the inner laminations are a bit dodgy I think).

As you can see I use crappy el cheapo ply. Sure, if you have Birch ply, all the better but I've had no problems. Blockboard would do too. Whatever you use if it marks the stock, you're clamping too tight. Cut some cauls and try them out, every day is a school day.....

Rgds

Noel

I wanted to say thanks to everyones help on this. Here is what I did:

tabletopclamps.jpg

This is the first time I've worked at all with hardwoods and Maple (well, since school!) - learning quickly that it's very unforgiving being so tough - cuts and edges have to be VERY accurate. I guess it's because it doesn't give as much as softer woods?

Anyway, the top is all glued up now - on to make the legs and frame :)

Blimey Digizz, I've never seen so many shiny tools in one place 8)

How do you keep the sawdust under control?

Tony":3baaszh2 said:
Blimey Digizz, I've never seen so many shiny tools in one place 8)

How do you keep the sawdust under control?
What sawdust? :shock: (Yarr*)

Cheers, Alf

*Token piratical comment in line with this ridiculous International Talk Like a Pirate Day that I've foolishly started on...

I'm very particular about cleaning the kit after every session - and waxing the tables :) Mind you, after todays work, it's looking a bit dustier!

Actually - if you look very carefully in the top right hand corner, just under the third clamp - there's a couple of specs of saw dust. Must have got away! ;)

Digizz":3vh779gz said:
Actually - if you look very carefully in the top right hand corner, just under the third clamp - there's a couple of specs of saw dust. Must have got away! ;)
<runs to get magnifying gla-, nope, micro-, no wait, electron microscope...> :lol:

(Yarrr)

Jezz fella...thats one clean workshop!! I don't suppose you fancy coming and cleaning mine?! :lol:

About the UniKlamps.....I'd go for the 600mm ones to be honest, theres not much weight or price difference between them so you might as well have the bigger ones.

SimonA

Latest posts

Back