Help/Advise with fixing lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexfn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I need some help with fixing my lathe, i bought this lathe when i was around 21, im now 32 and its had about 7 years with no use, i previously only had space to store it and now i have a little workshop going i got it back out,

so heres my problem.. since i last used it it seems to have developed a fault, its not spinning true, the only way to describe it is that it wants so put a spiral on anything i do, so it seems its running out, when i turn the spindle i can see that the gap between what looks like a washer behind the nut on the spindle changes from being barely visible to about 1mm, im curious about how this has happened, age? or has someone given it a knock or did i previously get too ambitious with an off balance log?

i know that this lathe is a fairly standard design, so is there anyone here who can diagnose this fault? and tell me what i will need to do? advise on parts to get her back up and running again..

any help or advise would be very much appreciated

i have added a picture

thanks

alex

Attachments

• IMG-20160201-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20160201-WA0005.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 1,220
Hopefully a member will be along with some helpful advice, sounds like it's had a clout.
There are some excellent engineers about who can straighten things like that.
If you know the model number, etc of you're Delta lathe, Then the parts list for many delta's should be here, This should help identify any parts needed and their part numbers.
I haven't seen any importers yet, Is you'rs a 1440?
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Wood-La ... _2295.aspx

Thanks

I think this machine is just branded delta but is a generic model. Ive seen the same machine around under a few brand names ..especially at the time i bought it.

I will check the model number in the morning and report back.

Thanks

Alex

Are you sure that the head is in line with the bed, ie have you done the kiss test?
When you bring up the tailstock the point of the revolving centre should line up with the point of the drive centre (horizontally & vertically).
Even though there is an indent to align the head they are often inaccurate or have a lot of play.
Mounting a chuck or faceplate will tell you if the head is revolving concentrically. I suspect that is & you have just knocked the headstock out of alignment which the kiss test will rectify.

Yes. And apart from that its the same when im doing a bowl or something is mounted in the chuck only

Hi

Could you clarify what the problem is?

With a drive centre and tail centre installed and aligned - I take it they can be aligned statically - what happens when you rotate the drive by hand?

Does the drive centre describe a circle or remain in the same alignment with the tail centre?

Regards Mick

I think the advice from Robbo 3 is sound, a kiss test. Your lathe looks idenetical to my SIP lathe.

Back