Hello from France!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmedic

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for accepting my request to join your group.
We share our time between the UK and France.
Our little safe haven there has been a labour of love... like so many rural places in the middle of the country it has been a real challenge to bring the property from the ninteen fifties and before to a more modern era!
In many respects, it has been like stepping back in time, some of it wonderful, much of it not quite so!!
But, it is our place, surrounded by fields on all sides, no passing traffic at all and despite the typical Brit's view of the French, wonderful neighbours. Being a an old farm our nearest neighbour is good walk away and the nearest village is about a kilometer away. We don't feel isolated and actually feel safer there than back in Blighty...
Hopefully, we will be able to contribute at least as much as we hope to learn from being here.
Once again, thank you,
Emma

Attachments

• 20190904_213044.jpg
    20190904_213044.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hello and welcome- wow! I’ve always wanted a rural property as you have described yours, only thing in addition would be a suitably sized carp fishing lake fully stocked but I’m still waiting for the big euro millions win for that lol 😂

I’ve always wanted a rural property as you have described yours, only thing in addition would be a suitably sized carp fishing lake fully stocked but I’m still waiting for the big euro millions win for that lol 😂

That's the dream I've had since I went and did a job in France for 6 weeks back in 2006 down in the Lot valley......

Welcome Fastmedic...👍

Hello and welcome- wow! I’ve always wanted a rural property as you have described yours, only thing in addition would be a suitably sized carp fishing lake fully stocked but I’m still waiting for the big euro millions win for that lol 😂
Hiya! Ah, a carp lake! We did look at one property, an old water mill. It had a lake attached to it but it seemed to be the property of anyone who wanted to fish... It would have been a challenge to keep it private and would probably have set out a lot of resentment. In any case, and from what we have learned over the past decade or so, the property would likely have broken us. Looking for a place was an adventure(s) in itself! from Normany, Brittany, the Loire and then further south to Vienne and the Dordogne. We went east through Creuse, Indre and Cher across to the Rhone and down again to Cantal. In the end we settled on a place in the Auvergne, in Allier, (the cheap part of France!!). We certainly didn't win the Eurowotsits or any win for that matter :) we bought on a budget and set about making it into our safe haven. It all became a labour of love because of budget and the fact that often, paying someone lots of money doesn't always guarentee a good job and sadly we did get our finger's burned... But we live and learn, (Comme Ci, Comme Ça)!! Of course, I'm new here and already, I can see that there are many genuine artisans so I hope that I am not offending anyone.

Attachments

• Les Pel Kitchen.jpg
    Les Pel Kitchen.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
That's the dream I've had since I went and did a job in France for 6 weeks back in 2006 down in the Lot valley......

Welcome Fastmedic...👍
Thank you! I replied to replied to Bingy, hopefully you will be able to see it. You weren't that far from where we are! Our decision, in the end was that we didn't want a tourist centre or a British enclave. Much as I like fish 'n chips, we just wanted to embrace the country and culture. I know it sounds like so many clichés but it was as true as it was naive... No passing traffic, actually no traffic and three cars would constitute a traffic jam here :). Very rural, all the properties are/were farms, wonderful neighbours and much more predictable weather - hot and sunny in summer, cold and, often, snow in winter, with wind and rain inbetween. We learned that Kingfisher, as well as owning ScrewFix and B&Q, also own Brico Dépôt and Castorama. I suspect that many of you will hold your hands up in horror :eek: but it's good to see common product ranges. DIY, (Bricolage) is not as developed in france as it is in the UK and prices can be eyewatering but we manage. It has been a huge learning curve and yes we have had some traumas, but we would hope that our legacy, in France would be seen in a positive light.

Attachments

• DSCF8552-30.jpg
    DSCF8552-30.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 0
Welcome aboard!

I imagine that the neighbours will guess where you're from the first time they visit. :)
Thank you. I think most people know where I'm from before I even open my mouth!! I remember a few years ago shopping in Carrefour. The checkout woman then spoke to me in English! Wow! I asked how she knew that I was British. Her reply was that we can alway tel who the english are, because they buy so much milk - for tea or coffee!! of course my old Tesco/Asda and M&S bags for life give me away too!

I lived in various parts of France (plus various other countries) and it's usually pretty easy to play "Spot the Brits". There are various categories, which have changed and increased over the years, but certain characteristics seem more or less universal - especially the "continental toilet fixation" that Peter Mayle remarked on. :oops::ROFLMAO:

I lived in various parts of France (plus various other countries) and it's usually pretty easy to play "Spot the Brits". There are various categories, which have changed and increased over the years, but certain characteristics seem more or less universal - especially the "continental toilet fixation" that Peter Mayle remarked on. :oops::ROFLMAO:
What’s a continental toilet? I’m familiar with Asia squat toilets but wasn’t aware of a European toilet difference.

AKA "Turkish toilet", so yes, a squat toilet. They're definitely something of a rarity nowadays, although I've seen a few fairly recently in unmanned French motorway rest areas. They were pretty common in the 60s, even in Paris bars, and through into the 70s and 80s. Last time I saw one here was about 10 years ago in a newly-refurbed restaurant close to the Turkish border, fancy washbasins etc and then a real knee-cracker of a khazi..... :LOL:

Oh you mean civilised toilets. 🤣

Must admit though that most French men think nothing of stopping at the side of any road to relieve themselves.

Well your miles away from me, I've snatched a place in Haute-Marne a rural village with nowt - no cafe or bakery 😭 nearest being in Neufchateau 19km north me.
House sounds like mine, a1950's in need of total re wiring, plumbing, plastering and painting. What made me want it was the 9500sqft workshop and showroom 🤓🤓🤓. So, with luck and no doubt loads of euros I hope to be open as Brocante Anglais this October. 🤞🤞🤞

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_190345.jpg
    IMG_20230425_190345.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20221104-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221104-WA0000.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 0
AKA "Turkish toilet", so yes, a squat toilet. They're definitely something of a rarity nowadays, although I've seen a few fairly recently in unmanned French motorway rest areas. They were pretty common in the 60s, even in Paris bars, and through into the 70s and 80s. Last time I saw one here was about 10 years ago in a newly-refurbed restaurant close to the Turkish border, fancy washbasins etc and then a real knee-cracker of a khazi..... :LOL:
I can say, with absolute certainty :eek: that they still exist... As jim Jay writes, usually in the unmanned Aires... I learned the hard way that they can be a challenge. The disabled toilet though is the sit down type. 🤭

@houtslager

Forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but the electrics in France are very different to those in the UK, no T&E, no ring mains or final ring circuits as they are now called!, white goods on separate radials, the list goes on.

Recommend this book: L'installation électrique - David Fedullo , Thierry Gallauziaux -... - Librairie Eyrolles

Below is a pic of my CU after I had re-wired.

View attachment 163236
Hi Mike, goodness me no, the reason why I join forums is to learn. One of the things I referred to that spending lots of money, doesn't always guarentee good service, was with an electrician... We do have that book, and somewhere have it on pdf. My information is that French wiring is radial and all cable must be double insulated hence no twin and earth.

Back