Have we lost the plot as far as tollerances are concerned?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My example on Tudor architecture is that IMHO it looks better hanging way out of kilter...in fact I think that most people prefer the image of the quaint country house like that.

So my point is...for some things...out of tolerance of the norm IS tolerable...in fact it is preferable.

If we move to say...furniture...some rustic furniture looks good with rough tolerances...as long as they function...like pegs and wedges...

A Rennie Macintosh chair would not.

And what amazes me the most is that the human eye can detect and appreciate what is or isn't "good" or if we take the subject literally...tolerable...

Just take a piece of Swiss or German engineering...a tablesaw....a lock...anything mechanical...and most of us can SEE the quality engineering...which is nothing but keen design and close...very close...tolerances.

Similarly if you compare a Clifton, Veritas or Lie Nielsen plane...you can actually SEE the tight tolerances and good engineering which is not evident in a cheap Chinese copy...

You are actually measuring tolerances with your experienced eyes...a simply amazing property of the human brain.

This is why I think this thread is so very interesting...the questions and answers it poses go far deeper than we probably first think...

Jim

We'eve got properties in Devon with floors that slope 15 degrees and you would most probably have to pay over £500.000 plus for them. :)

Back