Have I bitten off more than I can chew - I like a challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the steel framework is visible from the outside and inside it is clad with think aluminium

Do you mean alli on the outside, then the steel mainframes then ply attached to the framing?

Roy.

Hi Roy,
No..I really do mean that there is the steel frame work...then inside that is a thin sheet of aluminium, then inside that is the ply that is on nailed through the aluminium into the steel frame...
crosssection.jpg

So the blue is the metal framework, the grey is the aluminium and the yellowis the plywood if that makes sense..
Thanks
Timmo

It does, but it seems a bloody odd way of building a horse box, the corrosion between the steel and the alli must be interesting and damp must more of a problem that way around.
I'd attach whatever is necessary in the way of supports to the steel, but I reckon it'll be a cold place to spend a night!

Roy.

Hi Roy,
There is some sealant around all the framework where it meets the aluminium panel but yes..it does seem a very strange way to build a horsebox..it makes sense on the older boxes where it is a metal frame with wooden sides...

Well at least someone has done something right on it with the sealant.
Given time and funds I would strongly suggest to the ladies that the living compartment at least is skinned on the outside and the void insulated. If they are prepared to go that route your task of fixing things to the walls will be eased as you can attach what ever framing you wish in the void that would be created.

Roy.

Back