haunched mortise and tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello people

I have seared the forum & had no luck trying to find the following information
When setting out a haunched mortise and tenon, what calculation do you use to work out the length of your haunch?
I know the width & thickness is a third

Any help much appreciated

j

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are cutting a square haunch to fill a groove or traditional sloping haunch then I tend to still work on thirds as with the width of the tenon.

So if the overall width of the tenon is 30mm I would make the haunch 10mm and the tenon 20mm wide accordingly. There is no hard and fast rule here its what works for you and makes a strong joint.

Just make sure that you don't get the mortice hole too near the edge of the stile to prevent break out occuring

HTH

Rog

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
rule of a third is only rough guidance. The thickness is usually down to whatever size mortice chisel you have. So in stuff that's from 1½ to 2" finished you'd find a ½" M&T but it might go up to 5/8" at 2" e.g. if it was a big heavy door. Width depends on other details such as where it is and width of the rail etc. so a third doesn't come into it.
Haunch goes from the tenon to the edge of the rail, so there's nothing to calculate.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob, I think you may have misread what was actually being asked

The query related to the haunch, whether tapered or square and how long the haunch should be

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
Dodge":2kgttb1g said:
Jacob, I think you may have misread what was actually being asked

The query related to the haunch, whether tapered or square and how long the haunch should be
Oh right. Er - square; 1/2" tenon would have 1/2" of haunch - extending from tenon to the full width of rail but could be tapered off to zero and be out of sight.

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
Dodge":1nq4oct9 said:
:roll: ](*,)
So what have I misunderstood this time? :roll:

This one shows what I mean though the haunch looks slightly less than square in section as viewed from above.

PS just shows how confusing things can get - the image shows a rebate on the rail but not on the stile. Not my drawing - just lifted it from the net. Here's a few more.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dodge, I would go for a third as well, a third of the length of the tennon .... that's what I've been taught at college recently anyway!

Jacob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with square i.e. the length same as width. It's a sort of standard, but with variations according to other details such as rebates and slots. If there's slot then the haunch fits in the slot. If there's a rebate the haunch goes past the rebate to about equal to it's width.
A length of a third is too long IMHO and as a rule of thumb "square" would be better.

The purpose of the haunch is to close the gap and also to prevent "lipping" - where the rail twists slightly against the stile and the joint goes out of alignment. To do this you only need a short stub of a haunch.

SBJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob":3t6q0gud said:
I'd stick with square i.e. the length same as width. It's a sort of standard, but with variations according to other details such as rebates and slots. If there's slot then the haunch fits in the slot. If there's a rebate the haunch goes past the rebate to about equal to it's width.
A length of a third is too long IMHO and as a rule of thumb "square" would be better.

The purpose of the haunch is to close the gap and also to prevent "lipping" - where the rail twists slightly against the stile and the joint goes out of alignment. To do this you only need a short stub of a haunch.
I'd agree with most of this. It largely depends on what you are making and whether there are rebates or grooves. I suspect that on smaller components (furniture?) the ratios will be different to those on larger components (architectural joinery)-

If you can give more specific info on what you are making, then you will get more specific advice.