hatherleigh market auction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
so on a rainy week off what better to do then to go tool hunting :D

hatherleigh market in mid devon was my destination of choice today, with a sale of general household effects every tuesday i figured a few tools might be lurking beneath the rubbish. also with the usual market stalls i knew that the second hand tool dealer would be there with a couple hundred quality old woodworking tools to tempt me from my moneys alas not today, i nearly bought a stanley no 80 cabinet scraper though.

with only a couple box of tools today that caught my eye i set about bidding the first box had two braces and bits that caught my eye, the second a thos turner brass backed tennon saw `improved` along with various other gardening, metal working and wood working tools (too many to list) between the two box`s. and guess what i bought them both for eight pounds each. :D

the skinner brace caught my eye having never seen one like it so i thought i would share it with you, along with a rather unlovely stanley brace. the twist bits and the tenon saw (another refurb project).

DSCF0306.jpg

DSCF0308.jpg

how easy is it to sharpen the twist bits? is there any good guides or advice that anyone could give me.

cheers, mark.

Nice score Mark!

The right angled brace is superb...great piece of engineering!

If you want to sharpen the auger bits...CLICK HERE or Google "Sharpening Auger Bits"

The saw is also very beautiful...it is worth restoring if the pitting isn't too bad.

All in all...a good day out for a Tuesday indeed!

Jim

Wow, another saw gloat. She is beatiful, who's the maker?

Cheers
Pedder

thanks for the replies.

jim, thanks for the link, the file looks just the ticket. it will come in handy for the other twenty or so bits bought at a car boot sale a couple weeks ago, the saw although dirty is actually in very good condition the blade is straight and true very little pitting and the handle not an original but also in a good sound condition not sure if i should send it off to the saw doctor though i think it may just be sharp enough.

pedder, the saw was manufactured by thomas turner & co, i`ve checked on the saw makers of Great Britain list on backsaw.net (of which i stumbled across some of your beautiful saws, very nice indeed) and there is three entry`s for thomas turner & co, one in 1841, another in 1852 and the last in 1925 so dating is slightly more difficult. the saw is stamped "refined thos turner & co encore shefield cast steel improved"

cheers, mark.

Back