Has the Highway Code changed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was taught quite a few (OK..40+) years ago, I was taught when turning 'indicate, brake, turn' ...the implication being around 10-13 flashes of the indicator IIRC before the actual turn.

Down my way, it seems that the correct manouevre is now 'brake, turn, indicate'.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Must have been the same set of rule changes that says if you are approaching a mini roundabout and there is nothing between you and the dotted white line 3-4 car lengths in front of you, you accelerate to a speed sufficient to ensure that you can not possibly stop if the guy just about to cross the dotted entrance line on the left turn junction should dare to move out despite the fact he has been waiting for some time for the island to clear of other traffic.

mailee":167jhv4r said:
Wouldn't happento have been a taxi would it Roger? :lol:

My pet hate in this respect is buses.

They seem to consider that they have a God-given right simply to pull out from bus-stops into moving traffic without indicating or even looking in their mirrors. Never mind waiting for a gap or for someone to let them out!

A few months ago I was driving to a client's house who lives in a side street immediately after a bus-stop. A bus was stopped. Just as I was passing the bus and turning left in front of it the retard driver started pulling out. Fortunately he braked again, avoiding a collision by an inch or so.

I'm not given to road rage, but on this occasion I made an exception and gave him a rather aggressive and disparaging hand signal.

I hate bus drivers.

CHJ":2gscid5h said:
Must have been the same set of rule changes that says if you are approaching a mini roundabout and there is nothing between you and the dotted white line 3-4 car lengths in front of you, you accelerate to a speed sufficient to ensure that you can not possibly stop if the guy just about to cross the dotted entrance line on the left turn junction should dare to move out despite the fact he has been waiting for some time for the island to clear of other traffic.

Not quite. In those circumstances, you drive straight over the mini-roundabout :wink:

RogerS":fxo33e64 said:
When I was taught quite a few (OK..40+) years ago, I was taught when turning 'indicate, brake, turn' ...the implication being around 10-13 flashes of the indicator IIRC before the actual turn.

Down my way, it seems that the correct manouevre is now 'brake, turn, indicate'.

Why not join them? Just buy a Volvo and join the club
2073430971_896897fb5b_o.gif

I think everytime you renew your car tax they should give you any patches to the highway code.

I havent seen a highway code book since 1959

I haven't drove now for eight years,but have noticed that there seems to be a lot of over taking on the inside.Is this legal now :?: :?:
Last time we were on the motorway we were in the middle lane behind an artic,and several cars overtook us and it on the inside :shock:

Paul.J":25my5emm said:
I haven't drove now for eight years,but have noticed that there seems to be a lot of over taking on the inside.Is this legal now :?: :?:
Last time we were on the motorway we were in the middle lane behind an artic,and several cars overtook us and it on the inside :shock:

Did they have foreign number plates?

Yes it is increasing, and if an accident occurred I should have thought that the insurance company might hold that driver partly to blame but proving it is another matter.

Paul.J":2u6q04nm said:

Probably not legal but easy to see why it has developed. First, so many people hog the centre lane when they should be in the left-hand lane (as you should probably have been when cars were undertaking you). Second, with the development of motorways with far more than the normal three lanes and where the number of lanes varies (such as the M25 around Heathrow), switching lanes can get a bit hairy and undertaking is probably the safer option (provided people are using their mirrors and watching for it).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Undertking seems to be a lot more common on the Continent and the USofA so I suppose with more people driving abroad those sorts of nasty habits are bound to creep in. Personally, I reckon it's bloody dangerous but I'm getting used to it now and I always check the off and near side mirrors before changing lanes - Rob :ho2

The trouble is, Rob, that so many people view driving in the centre lane or even the right-hand lane, of a three-lane motorway as OK. What they should be doing is driving in the left-hand lane except when overtaking.

In America I believe that undertaking is legal - but they have lots of multi-lane motorways. That situation is developing over here in places like the M25 around Heathrow, where you can be in the left-hand lane but then suddenly find yourself in the third lane because the road has changed from three lanes to five or six. In that sort of situation it's often safer to stay where you are - but then that flouts the rule that you should be in the left-hand lane except when overtaking :?

Not sure what the current Highway Code says about these new developments - haven't read it for a few years :oops:

Cheers :ho2

Paul

A new version came out this year.

I did my IAM on my motor bike this year, very good course and now I look up the road as far as I can which make you smoother as you see more, try it.

I also wear an ex police hi viz jacket and car drivers really slow down when come up behind them...very funny.

Dan Tovey you ain't the only one that hate's bus drivers.

when i was driving limos in london capital they was the bigest problem and still are.
As you say the pull out on people all the time and have no respect to other road users i think that must be part of there training
to pull out on people.
As i said i have seen many a bend bus mounting the curb and nearly nocking over pedestrians on the path with the back end.
there has been a couple of times i had been cut up by them but i get my own back if i catch them at the next site of lights or junction and i am along side them.
on some the hot days we have had when they sit there with there hand hanging out the window i give it a wack then give them some stick if they start

Paul Chapman wrote
First, so many people hog the centre lane when they should be in the left-hand lane (as you should probably have been when cars were undertaking you).
No Paul ,we weren't hogging the middle lane,as i say we were behind the artic trying to overtake that ourselves,the artic/s were hogging the middle lane causing the problem,but surely this is no case to undercut still,especially aritcs.They have enough blind spots as it is without overtaking them on the inside.
But the problem is even on A roads :roll:

I have to agree with you Roger, brake then indicate seems to be the norm. One thing in particular is the driver who drives 40 - 45 mph everywhere. 45 in a 60 and 40 in a 30. I drive alot in the country and when going through villages at 30 mph some drivers are edging to get past.

I was hit by a bus once, strolling along the pavement when a bus changed to the inside lane by turning sharply, the front of the bus swept over the pavement and took me along with it, luckily for me it was moving very slowly and I was not hurt, luckily for the driver, he turned down my invitation to step onto the pavement and discuss the matter with me :evil:

But back to the Highway Code, Jo Brand recently announced changes to the traffic light rules:

Green = Go
Amber = Go
Red = Go on then just three more

RogerS":m7dqshu6 said:

Drivers still indicate in Worcestershire???? :shock:
Amazing!

Dan Tovey":38v5mvwm said:
mailee":38v5mvwm said:
Wouldn't happento have been a taxi would it Roger? :lol:

A few months ago I was driving to a client's house who lives in a side street immediately after a bus-stop. A bus was stopped. Just as I was passing the bus and turning left in front of it the retard driver started pulling out. Fortunately he braked again, avoiding a collision by an inch or so.

You must have been following the 'new' Highway code. Brake, turn, Indicate :wink: :D

Back