Has anyone turned Zebra-Wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some 2 x 2 Zebra-Wood that might make handles or other (spindle work?)
Is it good for turning? Or should it be avoided like the plague; as I know some folk are sensitive to it.

I'm not likely to use it for a while, but it might be a good idea to know what NOT to use it for!

Cheers folks.
:D

I use it quite a bit. It's nice enough and I don't think it'll give you any problems in the turning, though, in my experience, you'll have to work to get a really nice finish on it.

Zebrano needs very sharp tools as it can be a bit `woolly` and may need the sanding sealer or wax treatment to get a good smooth cut. It takes a good finish but has to be worked at. Get turning and be patient with it.
Frank

The biggest problem some people have with Zebrano is that the dark wood is hard and the light wood is soft so to much sanding produces an uneven surface also this is why you have to work harder getting a good polish finish

I've made a couple of small boxes out of zebrano and didn't have too many problems with it. I found finishing it was easy enough. I was warned by the chap that gave me the blanks that it smells disgusting when being cut (he actually said it stank like zebra poo), but I can't say I noticed this feature.

Latest posts

Back