Harrogate woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there were some exhibitors missing this year that made it more of a turners event, Biven machinery and the Woodworkers workshop to name two but all shows go through a cycle of up's and downs. You get some years where a show or event stands out but other years it may lack the shine, one show that seems to cycle more than most is the RHS garden show at Tatton. The ideal candidate to give demo's is someone who teachs woodworking, maybe someone who is now changing direction such as @Peter Sefton . I think having a more dynamic display to show off your products might be a better sales pitch than just a static one and could also draw in others to demo the products.
In past years there would be myself, Chris Tribe and Andrew Lawton demonstrating furniture making skills. I believe Chris has retired but lived locally to the show. Andrew is a commercial maker and I assume would need to be paid for his time, travel and accommodation-these all add up.

I have seen Paul Sellers at the show twice in the 12 years I was there, the first time maybe 10 years ago when he was promoting his early videos and books and about five years ago on his own stand. It maybe that Paul can reach more customers via blog or social media than demonstrating live-without the associated costs.

One of my favourite and best wood turners was not demonstrating this year, I think some have just decided to hang up their hat or where worried about the risk of Covid. The exhibitions are usually planned 12 months in advance so you have to be sure you can do it well ahead of time.

I enjoy demonstrating and taking to makers, others feel more at home on video. Video has it's own challenges but the advantage of a retake. I usually demonstrate sharpening and plane set up and use, I have tried to mix it up a bit over the years but find people asking "when are you sharpening-I will pop by then"

@Spectric I would like to know what mean by "more dynamic display" always looking of ways of improving. We usually take a huge amount of stock covering 500-600 product lines and we never have everything customers ask for. We have considered only taking a few router tables, much easier to set up and take home but would not sell enough to pay anywhere near the exhibition costs.

A much more experienced exhibitor than I once remarked it's not how much money you make, rather how much you don't loose! But I still get a buzz from the exhibition although it's knackering ;)

Cheers

Peter

I once watched Richard Arnold making a few sash window parts using the relevant planes. it's was remarkably quick and amazingly informative. never forgot it tbh.
I'd love to see Richard demonstrate window making!

When Paul sellers had a stand a few years ago he did do live demos but was a means to sell his book. I have no issue with this kind of demo as it's your choice to buy the product or not, same with David Barron, had a lovely chat with him, chose not to buy his product.

I think in general the show needs to diversify a bit, maybe instead of all machine turning they have some spring pole turner's or spoon carvers or chainsaw carvers (outside somewhere). I'd like to see more joinery demos weather that is furniture based or window/door making.

They could run a dovetail trial, let show goers have a go, fastest wins, I've seen this happen at US shows, just a bit of fun but gets people involved.

Matt

I would like to know what mean by "more dynamic display"
Rather than having a static display where products are just laid out in there packaging it can better to see them in use or being used, it can show the tools ability and also provide ideas as to what it can achieve. An example is say a router table, yes it may look great and be well engineered but seeing it put a moulded edge on something or cutting a finger joint really shows the capabilities, the Incra system looks great but how many people really know it's full potential.

It is several years since i attended a woodworking show. One of the aspects i miss as much as seeing new kit or watching a demonstration is the social one,
Shows give one the opportunity to discuss with other woodworkers the merits or otherwise of a tool or a machine whilst visiting a stand. In my experience woodworkers are good at sharing information and experience.
Russell

Robert Sorby had a great gentleman demonstrating their SteadyPro with the new Trac micro adjuster. Each time he got half through the demo and handed over to people to have a go, he sold hundreds like that... very good way for sales and knowledge. I am now the proud owner....

Had to look up the SteadyPro... I can see the point for hollowing, but pretty much all the images on Sorby website show it being used for "normal" turning operations; where it would have been easier/better/safer to just have a standard tool rest close to the workpiece. Bit odd really.

this year especially I saw many folk buying and carrying bits of wood( many were quite thin as well) it's always bits of fancy hardwood oak spalted stuff.etc.
the number of folk on this forum saying "where can I get pine to make a workbench.?" " all I can get is cls from b and q." surely someone could make a rough sawn redwood bench "kit" show it as the lumber then demo a few important bits. have a finished bench on show. finally ship the kits after taking the orders. must be better than selling mingy bowl blanks or really thin sanded bits of stuff.

I used to love watching the windsor chair making demos. I watched an amazing fan bird demo once.
cabinetmaking would be a bit harder to demo. if its still on I liked the outdoor show at the castle organised by Derbyshire County Council.
I'd love to see sash window making with handtools making large mouldings with hollow and rounds. clever stuff on the spindle. barrel making wheelwrights. briar pipes. adze work(finishing a table top ala mouseman.
Good points raised but in defence of the exhibitors there was quite a bit more going on than turning, There was a Windsor chair exihibit with demos on the West end wall oposite the boat. There was carving along the south side and someone carving with an adze in the middle row. There were plane demos - along side the sales, if you asked they would do some clever stuff. Skelton demos saws let you have a go etc. plenty of marquetry and scroll saw work, maybe not all the time but there was more than I had time to see.

Help, I have a question: what grinding wheel or tool sharper should I buy? - post Harrogate.

A bit of an impulse I bought Nigel Shenton repeat edge sharpening jig at the show last week.

I had read about these jigs on google/youtube a few years ago but seemed pricy for the little turning I do. Seeing Nigel's demo and the £were well priced and seeing it demonstrated convinced me to buy.

I'm now thinking my 25 year old clarke grinder is probably not right for this jig. The clarke is a combi, 6 inch wheel and 8 inch honing stone, its on a stand in an accessible corner and I move it near the lathe when turning. I'm a very amater turner and only turn when I have to eg handles mainly and reparing stair balusets, chair strechers etc. I dont turn big bowls and have an old Coronet Major with centers for turning, its quite fast.. However I'm keen to upskill as kids leave home and I'm only a few years off retirement. Anyhow should I upgrade to a dedicated station for turning tools and if so what would be good value for my rather limited needs. The 6''grinder is mainly used for drill bits and grind bolts and screws to fit diy projects. The honing stone is used for damaged chissle and planes to get the dedge back, I have made some simple jigs to help with these tasks.
Do I upgrade and if so to what?

Rather than having a static display where products are just laid out in there packaging it can better to see them in use or being used, it can show the tools ability and also provide ideas as to what it can achieve. An example is say a router table, yes it may look great and be well engineered but seeing it put a moulded edge on something or cutting a finger joint really shows the capabilities, the Incra system looks great but how many people really know it's full potential.
Thanks Roy, we will have a think for next year.

Cheers

Peter

I’ve heard that the organisers considered a sharpening match but the cost of stewards required to keep the Waterstone and Diamond Plate supporters apart was just too much …

Seriously though I’ve always wondered why more of the furniture making schools/providers of courses don’t have a stand like Chris T used to do before he retired.

Latest posts

Back