Harrogate woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to try and explain to folks as dunna know. I actually went to the show with a load of turner's from a woodturning club.
now these clubs operate by hosting a demonstrator every month. so a circuit has come about(here and in the us) where a large pool of highly skilled pro demonstrators are around.
no such pool exists for general woodworking unless you count them trying to sell you stuff.
I love this aspect of turning its really self made( mainly because it can be done in under an hour)

does the show at the Ally Pally still happen....?
Good memeories of that one.....even the wife enjoyed it.....
need to time it with a trip back...be nice to do the Stafford m/cycle show as well.......

I’ve been to the show many times, always look forward to it and will continue to do so. This year I went on Friday and had planned to go back Sunday but didn’t, not through disappointment but simply that I had too much on at home.
I agree that over the years, the focus might have moved more towards turning (I am not a turner) and yes, it was a shame some usual attendees weren’t there but overall I think it’s a well intended, run and enjoyable event.
On the upside at the most basic of levels you get to talk to exhibitors and see their gear - something you might otherwise not be able to; it’s £10 in advance to get in, or less (unlike the NEC); there’s free parking (unlike the NEC); and you get to mingle with fellow enthusiasts. I’m sure we could all add to the upsides.
On the potentially perceived downside, it’s not easy for everyone to get to (but what hobbiest’s show would be?), the traffic was horrific getting in from the A1 (at 10:30 it took an hour), the show can’t possibly cater on a reasonable scale for every dimension of woodwork we might all want to see (again, which one really has done or can do?) and the catering costs we’re eye-watering (like the NEC, so, bring your own).
I expect the organisers could argue ‘can any of us do better?’…maybe not, but they, the exhibitors and visitors deserve recognition for doing their bit and putting the show together.
I prefer the show over Maker’s Central but also enjoy the Newark event so will be going to the latter too.
There’s plenty of feedback on here and social media about the Harrogate show for the organisers to consider but sometimes it’s worth being careful what you wish for - I’m assuming most would be disappointed if there wasn’t enough support for future shows.

I guess Paul Sellers would be a big draw for many for a woodworking demonstration... but I'm guessing the exhibitors wouldn't be happy with him telling everyone they only need 10 tools they can buy from Ebay :D

Some good observations Puggers, as you say, places like the NEC are really only suitable for the massive corporate exhibitions for businesses. The Makers Central line-up looked really uninspiring but I guess it is about a greater, broader appeal

I have found the dates for the Newark one for next year so I will try to go to that one I think as my first show

I guess Paul Sellers would be a big draw for many for a woodworking demonstration... but I'm guessing the exhibitors wouldn't be happy with him telling everyone they only need 10 tools they can buy from Ebay :D

Some good observations Puggers, as you say, places like the NEC are really only suitable for the massive corporate exhibitions for businesses. The Makers Central line-up looked really uninspiring but I guess it is about a greater, broader appeal

I have found the dates for the Newark one for next year so I will try to go to that one I think as my first show
I'm pretty sure he was there a few years ago, but did later point out that it'd basically become a sales show rather than a woodworking demonstration show. Ironically when I went (pre-Covid) I'd agree. This time just gone there were more stands with demonstrations; very turning heavy, but there were others (carving, marquetry, pyrography) too.

There is usually a Midlands one held at the Newark show ground.
Yes, but Newark is nowhere near thew West Midlands and is nearly as hard to get to as Harrogate!

There used to be ones at the Warwickshire Event Centre. Much easier for West Midlander's and Londoners as it is only just off the M40.

Phil

I used to love watching the windsor chair making demos. I watched an amazing fan bird demo once.
cabinetmaking would be a bit harder to demo. if its still on I liked the outdoor show at the castle organised by Derbyshire County Council.
I'd love to see sash window making with handtools making large mouldings with hollow and rounds. clever stuff on the spindle. barrel making wheelwrights. briar pipes. adze work(finishing a table top ala mouseman.

What wood working techniques would people like to see demonstrated at the shows?
Maybe drawer making. Decent range of skills to show (dovetails, grooves for drawer bottoms, saw cuts etc); plus it's something that usually needs to be repeated (per drawer), so a maker could build a set of drawers for a cabinet over the weekend - so demonstrating, but also getting useful time on a project.

What wood working techniques would people like to see demonstrated at the shows?
Preparing timber, flattening and dimensioning stock with hand tools, something the old hands would take for granted but showing newcomers that you do not need a workshop full of machines to be able to prepare timber. Saw sharpening would also be interesting to see.

I think there were some exhibitors missing this year that made it more of a turners event, Biven machinery and the Woodworkers workshop to name two but all shows go through a cycle of up's and downs. You get some years where a show or event stands out but other years it may lack the shine, one show that seems to cycle more than most is the RHS garden show at Tatton. The ideal candidate to give demo's is someone who teachs woodworking, maybe someone who is now changing direction such as @Peter Sefton . I think having a more dynamic display to show off your products might be a better sales pitch than just a static one and could also draw in others to demo the products.

Maybe drawer making. Decent range of skills to show (dovetails, grooves for drawer bottoms, saw cuts etc); plus it's something that usually needs to be repeated (per drawer), so a maker could build a set of drawers for a cabinet over the weekend - so demonstrating, but also getting useful time on a project.
You are right a lot of good hand skills within drawer making, I assume the exhibition organisers would be looking for 45 minute to 1 hour demo slots if they were to be done in a video camera seated area. Maybe the skills could be broken down into sections.

Cheers

Peter

Preparing timber, flattening and dimensioning stock with hand tools, something the old hands would take for granted but showing newcomers that you do not need a workshop full of machines to be able to prepare timber. Saw sharpening would also be interesting to see.
Both good ideas, I can put them forward to the organisers.

Cheers

Peter

David Barron was there a few years ago, I think with classic hand tools demonstrating dovetails using his saw alignment jigs
David is a talented maker and good demonstrator, this could be placed under the "product placement" category, I know some people have an issue with this but most demonstrators do not get paid for their time and craftsmen do need to earn a living.

Cheers

Peter

Hidden mitre dovetails is sure to pull a crowd. Not too hard to do, but always looks impressive.
Blindfolded and with one arm tied behind your back, count me out. I haven't cut any for 20 years or more, either no need or maybe the eyes aren't up to it anymore. I love cutting and demonstrating dovetails but I don't think the natural light in an exhibition hall would be good enough for me.

Cheers

Peter

I went on Saturday to Harrogate,‘‘twas my first show and I loved it. Bought a bandsaw from Biven Machinery (Record Power) and loads of tools and bits of wood. It’ll not be my last show!😀

Back