Harrogate woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of classic tools for sale but I don't know what's what just yet so kept hold of my cash.
I've only been twice, but on both occasions there have been lots of decent chisels (carving, "normal", and woodturning). A few decent handsaws, and some good spokeshaves. The hand planes are overpriced IMHO (vs eBay) and there's rarely anything particularly special (if you're a mug for the earlier "low knob" Stanleys like me).

One stand had a really nice Starrett engineer's level (for levelling lathe beds) for a good price, but I already have one.

and from the A59 it was nose to tail all the way to the show which took an hour to do approx 4 to 5 miles
That is just normal traffic for the area, when we visit Harlow Carr the traffic is always just conjested and when you see that Harlow Carr is now surrounded by new housing both directly opposite and also down the 6162 it is obvious the conjestion is just over development. Think back ten years and it was much easier to get round Harrogate.

I'm just sitting on the coach heading back. overall it was a good experience. as a poster mentioned more woodturning things. more timber sellers. less machines generally. had some nice chats with a range of folk, richard sgian dubh nic Westerham, Richard Skelton, an rpt member( 40 with a goatee and a pagan) unusual range of ages ( younger mostly hand tool enthusiasts) the usual odd bods and some extras like the Italian nail man, the Pakistani tool makers, boots and shoes? the brake disk drill man, le tonkinois man. many missing though.

Attachments

• 50B2072A-6092-43D7-816B-0185D758BC66.png
    50B2072A-6092-43D7-816B-0185D758BC66.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 02AB6C5D-87C3-41FD-87EC-2B3A2C3A2022.png
    02AB6C5D-87C3-41FD-87EC-2B3A2C3A2022.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
First show for me, really enjoyed it...and the wife let me have free reign on the 'card'! I was after a bandsaw, but didn't get one in the end. The Lumberjack Bandsaw felt cheap and the fence was poorly designed. The record power bandsaws looked nice but may have to save up a bit more. I was tempted by the UJK dovetail jig as there was one for £230....but it went very quickly. I will definitely go again.

I've been going to Harrogate for maybe 13 years and I can't remember not seeing them either on the showground or on the roads leading to there.

The re-introduction of Red Kites in Harewood has been a tremendous success. I was working in Boston Spa last week and counted 19 birds circling in the sky above. Quite a sight... and a bit tricky to count.
We also have them north of Harrogate and I love to see them but the crows and jackdaws mob them and the dogfights can be spectacular.

I trekked over on Friday to meet up with my son. The traffic was nose to tail on the way in and the show was well attended. I too felt that there was a heavy wood turning emphasis. However, the demonstrations were very good & the real value is being able to meet & discuss with real people!

The re-introduction of Red Kites in Harewood has been a tremendous success. I was working in Boston Spa last week and counted 19 birds circling in the sky above. Quite a sight... and a bit tricky to count.
We also have them north of Harrogate and I love to see them but the crows and jackdaws mob them and the dogfights can be spectacular.
Indeed. Here's some photos taken from our garden (a bit north of Leeds)...

IMG_0500-Edit.jpg
IMG_0512-Edit.jpg
IMG_0556-Edit.jpg

I went on Friday and the traffic issue when travelling from the A1M on the A59 is far from normal, the main holdup is due to the roadworks on the roundabout on the A658. The tailbacks both ways were lengthy where normally traffic keeps flowing it was standstill and very slow indeed.
A number of exhibitors missing but still a good show and very busy on Friday, apart from the catering but then that's little different from most venues with captive consumers.

Last edited:
Went to Harrogate today as a punter for the first time, seven hour round trip but so nice to catch up with some old friends, had a good chat with @Nick Gibbs, @Nick Laguna UK, Richard Jones, Shane Skelton and Chris Fisher.

I have read a few comments on social media that there were too many wood turners, I hope to redress the balance next year!

Cheers

Peter

Went to Harrogate today. My first visit and had a great time. Got lots of advice and admired some expensive wood. I'll remember to keep hold of trees when my parents next have to fell some dying ones, a cherry and a magnificent maple are reaching end of life.
Shelton was impresive as were the boat people from Lowestoft. Lots of good turning demos that were well attended. Bought too many hand tools, mortice chisels, wooden beading planes, some spoke shaves and some cheap stuff from one of the market stalls.
Beverstock band saw blades was a real find.
Dave the owner of Lumberjacks is a very strait forward guy, warmed to him right away, and will buy something powered from him once I've done a bit or research. I'm after a home band saw.
Found a couple of wood turning clubs, one in Thirsk which I'd heard of but been unable to track down until now.
I'll bring the kids next time, the demos were good.
Lots of comments on how busy Friday had been.

Had a great day Saturday, really good to meet up with old friends after so long. Hopefully the show will keep going as from the sounds of things other shows could be falling by the wayside.

Went to the show yesterday (Sunday), first time and contrary to most posts, I was disappointed. I had heard all about the Harrogate show and perhaps expected too much. Had I been a budding turner then I would have loved it. Yes there were stalls where you could get chisels of all shapes and sizes but the stand selling Veritas kit had very little left, the Lie Nielsen even less. Makita, Milwaukee and lumberjack had great displays. Axminster had a display of bandsaws and a great line up of Lathes despite them selling lots of other kit that they could have put on display. I counted 6 turners at work as I left. It was really a wood turners show and as that, Great, as a woodworkers show not so good. Perhaps Sunday was also not the best day to visit.

Back