Harrogate Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in York and have got a long weekend off (Friday/Monday) for my birthday. So I thought I should give this a try. Was almost set on going Friday thinking it would be quieter but apparently not!

Froggy":22812w29 said:
Dodge":22812w29 said:
Me and my lad will be up there on Saturday for a day out and maybe Sunday too if we feel we need more time - Looking forward to a boys weekend away!

Are you wearing a carnation so that I can spot you Roger? :lol: :lol:

I doubt it, but will have a lanky spotty teenager with me, sorry my son and knowing him he will be wearing something with Norwich City Football club on so I'm sure he will stand out!

Dodge":2hcfgodg said:
Froggy":2hcfgodg said:
Dodge":2hcfgodg said:
Me and my lad will be up there on Saturday for a day out and maybe Sunday too if we feel we need more time - Looking forward to a boys weekend away!

Are you wearing a carnation so that I can spot you Roger? :lol: :lol:

I doubt it, but will have a lanky spotty teenager with me, sorry my son and knowing him he will be wearing something with Norwich City Football club on so I'm sure he will stand out!
Well I'm a Leeds fan for my sins, so I doubt he'll want to talk to me after last weeks result!

So I went today for the second year running. Seemed to be a bit better than last year.

Paul Sellers was doing a demo - extolling the virtues of the spoke shave vs a noisy and dusty router with a round-over bit. It was well done.

Veritas and Lie-Nielson were there from the US and seemed very enthusiastic which seemed to clash a little at the time I was there with some cynical middle aged Yorkshiremen that were watching.

One thing that was interesting were the discounts on offer on 'open box' graded Festool stuff at the Alan Wadkins stand -
There was loads of stuff there at discount levels I have not seen before on Festool stuff. It was all I could do to stop myself buying a 10.8v drill and a ROS 90.

Also finally saw a Tablesaw that has a solid, smooth repeatable fence with a decent micro adjust: Scheppach Prescia 3.0 (sub-labeled Kity). Any one fancy giving me £1.2k?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I too was there today. Very crowded this morning by the time we had 'endured' the three mile tailback leading to the venue entrance, making it very difficult to find an opportunity to get near the two or three folks that I would have liked to have a chat to.
As a result I decided to compromise next year and visit on the Saturday, but then I stumbled upon the British Hardwoods stand. I had bought from them previously, on a Sunday, but by that stage their stock had been a fraction of the range on display today. All very reasonably priced too IMHO. I bought a large lump of Lime 130*220*900 for £30. 'Another supplier', primarily of turning blanks, had a piece just half that length at £58.50.

i grabbed a couple of pieces from British hardwoods too- a lump of pippy oak at 14" x 7' x inch with 2 live edges. seemed reasonable at £38, maybe not a bargain on a cu ft rate, but it was a nice board and I was happy on that basis. I also got a piece of figured american cherry, which was 2" thick, 4" wide and mist be 4' or so- should yield a few spindle blanks. I saw the lime, but I only wanted a couple of bits to practice miniature whittling on- I assume that it is our equivalent of the much quoted basswood. I would hope that they will restock before tomorrow, because they had sold a lot throughout the day.

I saw what I wanted to, and bought a few bits and pieces- it was very crowded though.

You are correct with blanks though- if you can buy a large lump and cut it down, the blanks work out much cheaper.

there were very few sellers of pen blanks. A few stalls, with a few but none that were unusual or plentiful. I did get one masseur birch one, which i am looking forward to turning (and dreading in equal measure) because it is one of my favourite timbers that i have seen.

There was a good stand for turning blanks as you walk in. seemed well priced, but again, I hope that they restock over night because they had sold a lot of stuff.

Probably a bit late but only just thought I have 2 spare free tickets for the show, am going Saturday, aiming for 10ish when it starts, probably going for a breakfast at Fodder before, if anyone wants them let me know and can meet you outside or something.

Doug

I hadn't been for a few years , preferring the trade shows , but decided to give it a go on Sunday.
Busy but not so busy that you couldn't get around , nothing that I hadn't seen before numerous times with the exception of the Clifton block plane , Skelton saws and the Mafell jigsaw. The block plane was an exceptionally well made tool and being the owner of several of its big brothers I might be tempted to get one some time . The Skelton saws however were truly beautiful and even at £450 for a handsaw , you could see the value in them , which when he explained there were about £40 hrs put into one, made them seem even better value.
The Mafel jigsaw was in a different league to anything I had seen before and will definitely be my next tool to buy.
My one and only purchase was a 150 Rotex which with the entrance money and diesel made it a £500 day out :shock:
Just need to smuggle it out of the car now :lol:

Max Power":3gfasmto said:
Just need to smuggle it out of the car now :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Been there, done that!

I changed my mind and went on Saturday which was comfortable and not too busy, had a great day.

Bob

Back