Hardwax oil - changed my mind!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjopicker

Reaction score
Nearing the end of my first real project - a pair of ash toy chests. As they have raised panels on the front and sides, I had put a light coat of clear hardwax oil on the panels (only), so that any shrinkage doesn't show at the edges. It was diluted slightly with white spirit. This was a couple of months ago (this is a slow project!)

Problem: I've now decided that I'd like the chests a little darker - I have some "whiskey" coloured hardwax oil which I'd like to use. Will putting a few coats of this coloured oil on the panels, on top of the underlying clear one, be OK ? Will the underlying thin coat absorb it, go blotchy, or result in a very different colour to that of the rest of the chest ?

Or should I just forget it and accept the lighter colour ? Or maybe there's another way round this ?

- Bernie

I've not done exactly as you describe, so I can't say for certain, but I recently used some hard wax oil on a chair. You certainly can add coats to build up the finish, so I can't imagine that your extra coat wouldn't go on just fine. If you have any offcuts, you could try an experiment first, otherwise start on the back and see how it goes before tackling the front and top.

I think I would complete the first diluted, clear coat on the bits that are still bare wood, so that it is all treated the same before proceeding with the tinted stuff. The first coat probably gets absorbed most, so you might find that if you have one clear coat on the panels, and bare wood on the frame and go straight ahead with the tinted stuff, you get panels lighter than the frame.

Latest posts

Back