Hand routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldyhippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New member to the sight here. I've been inspired by Paul Sellers videos to try and improve my skills with hand tools. I would like to get hold of a hand router. The options I've found are either the Veritas model or hang around on ebay waiting for a second hand Stanley or Record to pop up at a reasonable price.

I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me if there are any other options available?

Are you looking at the large router (stanley 71) or one of the smaller ones (271). If the smaller type, I would go for a veritas because the record and stanley ones are virtually the same money.

The large ones I am less familiar with. Both will probably work about the same so it comes down to what you want to spend. I personally would try to go for the veritas because you can add stringing cutters to it but I expect that the price difference is more pronounced.

Hello and welcome. The Stanley/Record 71 is a really useful tool and well worth having. The alternative to finding one on eBay is to buy one from a secondhand tool dealer. There are still a few with shops or stalls but most are now online. The advantage is that you are very unlikely to get a tool with hidden defects, and if you do, you can easily swap it.

The excellent Tools and Trades History Society have just updated their list of UK secondhand tool dealers. It's alongside their conservation notes here http://taths.org.uk/tools-and-trades/notes.

Baldyhippy":280p9970 said:
Hi,

New member to the sight here. I've been inspired by Paul Sellers videos to try and improve my skills with hand tools. I would like to get hold of a hand router. The options I've found are either the Veritas model or hang around on ebay waiting for a second hand Stanley or Record to pop up at a reasonable price.

I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me if there are any other options available?

Yeah - Sellers recommends a Preston model as the best, but Good Luck finding one. :D

BugBear

I'll echo Andy's advice to buy from a dealer, especially if you phone and ask for a good user's tool rather than a collector's piece - make sure to ask for one with all it's cutters and fences. You'll pay a bit more than Ebay price, but you'll only need to pay it once. (If you find a Preston one - you'll only WANT to pay once!)

Another option, depending on what you intend the tool for, is the wooden version - the 'old woman's tooth' or 'OWT' as it's sometimes called. They don't leave quite the refined finish that the posh metal ones with L-shaped cutters can, but for such duties as levelling cross-grain housings finish doesn't really matter much. It's even possible to make one, using a chisel or other 'borrowed' cutter for a blade - vintage ones often have an iron from a wooden plough plane in them. They crop up quite a bit on Ebay, for less money than the metal ones usually.

If you do decide to go down the route of the Veritas Router Plane (I did) then you should have a look on Dieter Schmids Fine Tools website. The euro is not too bad at the moment and you could get the Large Router Plane for about £125 including delivery if memory serves.

I think it retails at around £170 here. Probably because all Veritas retailers are held to ransom by the sole importer (Axminster/Brimarc I think.) I normally would buy from retailers here but it seems silly to pay an extra £45 the same tool.

Edit: I do realise that is contradictory to my other posts stating my want to support businesses in this country but I'm voting with my feet against some of the ridiculous prices we pay for imported tools against other countries even further away from the source than us.

The Veritas router plane is outstanding. I prefer it to the Lie Nielsen, and the older Stanleys, and I have used all of them at times. You can also buy an inlay kit for it which is useful at times. It is without doubt one of my favourite tools and excellent value for money.

The Veritas is an excellent improvement on the original. I bought mine direct from Lee Valley with the fence and extra cutters and saved a considerable sum even allowing for the courier and import duty. The improvements include the ability to position the cutter at the front or centrally, the fence, the depth stop, the fact that the blade can be separated from the stem for re sharpening, the sharpening handle (jig), a number of different blades are available and if you are into in laying the inlaying tools that are available.

Baldyhippy":1t2vjs00 said:
Hi,

It's probably worth emphasising that hand routers (unlike power routers) are only used to finalise and refine a surface created by
other, faster means. One does NOT remove bulk waste with a hand router.

BugBear

I have had both the recird and the now the Veritas hand routers. I much prefer the Veritas, it's IMO simply the better tool. The one big advantage is that the final skim router cutter can be removed for sharpening which makes the task significantly easier. For fixed cutters of the stanley / Record planes, holding the cutters upside down with your stone on the edge of the bench trying to hold an angle is not easy

They must be one of the most awkward edge tools to sharpen. It wouldn't be too bad if the cutting edge was part of the stem part, it's much longer. Unfortunately it isn't, which leaves a very short section of metal in which to judge the angle and it's not as though the whole cutter is easy to hold. In fact it's awkward. This is where you have to make some type of extended holder or (peace) some type of guide.

Bug Bear is as usual spot on. I always clear the bottoms of housings and the like with a chisel before grabbing the Router.

Also I should add that I brought the 1/8" and 1/4" Cutter as well as the Router Fence. I have yet to use these or had need for them. So I would recommend only picking them up should you have any projects that require them.

As BugBear states these tools are not for bulk removal. A couple or three paper thin passes to final depth should be all it takes and vintage tools work fine for this. Stanley and Record are your friends in this instance. The shoulder of the joint should be worked to final depth (saw, chisels, combination of the two) before this tool is brought to bear and then used carefully next to the shoulder to avoid beating it up, even at the bottom.

There is no overriding need to spend a whole lot of money, though I would opt for a newer Veritas if the price difference between it and a clean and complete example on EBay are fairly close. I haven't shopped for these tools in years and don't know where the auction market is currently positioned.

I've also been keeping an eye on ebay and the for sale section of the forum with no joy yet. My plan is to wait it out for the carboot season to restart and hope I find one!

Are there any carboots near you?

L2wis":qsaf4fqr said:
I've also been keeping an eye on ebay and the for sale section of the forum with no joy yet. My plan is to wait it out for the carboot season to restart and hope I find one!

Are there any carboots near you?

Hi Lewis

Why not just make your own?

C1_zps97ade8dd.jpg

Article and plans here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back