Hand Plane Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rather like these, but maybe a bit big for the drawer. :? I agree with Howard, gotta be brass IMO. Looking very good, btw. Makes my Focus kitchen cupboards seem a bit of a cop-out... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

If think Alf has found the right style of handle there, they would look in keeping with the rest of the cabinet and the planes as well. :D

Yeah, think the brass is going to win out. Have some ebony I was going to use but can't come up with a suitable shape.......
Cheers All
Philly :D

But you must fit them with nice SLOTTED raised head brass screws, none of these hi tech spax screws thank you. :shock:

brass shells.... I believe...

least...that's what it says ere in my auld fart's guide to woodworking...

;)

Brass Cup/Shell Handles with raised head slotted screws all of the slots lined up horizontally is called Class 8)

Bean

Bean":15py2ihp said:
Brass Cup/Shell Handles with raised head slotted screws all of the slots lined up horizontally is called Class 8)
Until the handles come loose 'cos you were so busy lining up your slots you didn't tighten up the screws all the way home... :roll: I'm undecided on lining up slots. I like the look, but if it's to the detriment of the job in hand then I try to bite the bullet and just ignore the aesthetics. But I'm wandering off topic again aren't I? I'll get me coat.

Cheers, Alf

Don't be tempted to overtighten them I've had one or two heads break off in the past. At least one of which was glued back on. Hope I never have to remove that particular hinge

Andy

Don't be tempted to overtighten them I've had one or two heads break off in the past.

Oooooh yeah! I first fit with steel screws into hardwood before final fit with brass, then there's little chance of shearing them.

Ike

Hi All
Unfortunately i couldn't find brass cup handles small enough for the drawers-they were all too big. So I bought two of these-what do you think?
(And yes I know the 2nd drawer isn't finished.... :D )
drawer1.jpg

drawer2.jpg

Classy enough??
I like the look-had to steel wool the nasty laquer off the brass but I think they fit in just right.
Cheers

The drawers are for new plane purchases that I want to keep hidden from "The Management"...... :lol:
No, when designing the cabinet I thought it would look more "resolved" with a couple of drawers on the bottom. They are not very deep, so will just be for honing guides, wax, rags, miscellaneous bits and bobs.
Cheers

Yup. Very nice. But just one thing.....why is there only one drawer? :lol:

Philly the handles look really good you should be pleased :D

Ike empty space is for the next gloat.......sorry drawer :wink:

Bean

O.k.
Finally finished the second drawer!
finished%20cabinet.jpg

Now that looks better, doesn't it Ike? :lol:
finished%20cabinet3.jpg

Turned out to be a lot of dovetails in the end-36 to be correct! They certainly needed all of my concentration, and two corners a day is my limit. Any more than that and the filler comes out!! :lol:
It certainly looks nice on the wall-now I can get on with the projects i put on hold whilst making this (the Missus was well pleased to see me "wasting my time" on this instead of her "to-do" list :twisted: )
Cheers
(full step-by-step pics on my web-site here http://www.philsville.co.uk/planecabinet.htm

Back