Hand Cut Dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob - I see what you mean now.

The top and bottom half pins are the same size, but as the box sits loose into a rebate on the stand it covers up the bottom 5mm or so of the bottom half pin.

The issue is that I wasn't sure if the box would always live on the stand, so I didn't want to make unequal size half pins (that would look equal when on the stand) as this would then look odd when the box sat on its own on a table. Couldn't decide which to go for, but in the end went with what you see now. Ironically, since it was finished the box hasn't been off the stand so I could have done the unequal half pins after all, but there you go!

Cheers, Ed.

Ed S wrote:
The top and bottom half pins are the same size, but as the box sits loose into a rebate on the stand it covers up the bottom 5mm or so of the bottom half pin.

The issue is that I wasn't sure if the box would always live on the stand, so I didn't want to make unequal size half pins (that would look equal when on the stand) as this would then look odd when the box sat on its own on a table. Couldn't decide which to go for, but in the end went with what you see now. Ironically, since it was finished the box hasn't been off the stand so I could have done the unequal half pins after all, but there you go!

Ah....that explains it, difficult call. Thinking quickly about it, I would have probably located the box on top of the stand by using four stubby dowels, one in each corner, maybe made out of some 6mm brass. This wouldn't have been quite so secure as a rebate, but then you make the assumption that as an heirloom piece it's going to receive 'due care and attention'. At the end of the jour, it don't really matter, you've made an excellent job of it. I generally chalk up these ideas and 'improvements' :wink: for the next job - Rob

PaulO":slydmoul said:
Slim":slydmoul said:
Philly, you expect me to post a pic, after seeing the dovetails Paul and Ed posted?

If you want to boost your ego, just go to an antique shop and open some drawers. Piecework dovetails weren't that great.
Yep I agree... 'Dutch' dovetails are common too!

Regards
John :)

If a dovetail joint fits too tightly, plane a little off the inside face of the pin bearing part.

WhiskyFoxtrot":15hrrhyl said:
If a dovetail joint fits too tightly, plane a little off the inside face of the pin bearing part.

Nice little trick, but it wouldn't work on half blind dovetails would it?

Having spent several days cutting dovetails, I'd just like to say that the box is beautiful Ed! but I don't like to see the scribed lines on the outside, I use the gauge to mark in between the spaces rather than across the whole face, bar the inside which does not show. It takes a little longer to mark out but worth it IMHO.

Back