Hamlet Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to get myself a new set of bevel edged chisels. I've owned the Kirschens, which were very good, but I want to try a different set. Looking on the classic hand tools website, I noticed a nicely priced and attractive looking set by 'Hamlet'

http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Hamlet_Chisel_Sets.html

Does anyone have any experience with these, are they are any good? There only a tenner cheaper than a similar set by Ashley Iles, should I go for the better name?

I have a set made by footprint, but they look identical, even the packaging.
I got them for £25 I think.
For the money they are great chisels, hold an edge for long enough.
Didnt some at all flat though, but they flattened out quick enough
hoep this helps

Matt

I have both Hamlet and AI carving chisels - I would go for the AI every time. I have the Hamlet because I could get a set quite cheaply when I was starting out.

Thanks for the replies guy's, i'll bare that in mind. Is it a case of the steel being better in the AI's or just the construction/handles?

Is it a case of the steel being better in the AI's or just the construction/handles?

Maybe both - don't know about the steel but (excluding the butt pattern chisels) I love the big AI handles. I find them sooo nice to grip, and they look lovely in Bubinga without any gloopy finish.

Ike

ByronBlack":nn53bfr7 said:
Is it a case of the steel being better in the AI's or just the construction/handles?

Not sure - they just 'feel' better. I do think the AI chisels hold an edge for longer, when I'm carving.

Back