Had enough of Tenon Saws!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iajon69

Established Member
Reaction score
Well for the time being anyway!

Just finished sharpening 86 Tenon Saws and hopefully it will be a long time before we get this amount in again!

All the saws are from a couple of local colleges and had to be back in time for start of the new term.

Going on holiday on Friday so at least I can forget about Tenon Saws for a while!

Out of the 86, 48 had to be re-cut because of damage to the teeth – don’t you just love students :D

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos but I only had the camera from my mobile phone at hand.

Ian

Holy Rake Angle Batman!!

Holiday Deserved. :lol:

punkrockdad":2964h3vc said:
Do you use a jig or is it all by eye?

I used a re-toother to re-cut all the new teeth in which saved a lot of time but all the setting and sharpening was done by hand/eye.

Ironballs":2964h3vc said:
I've got a saw that could do with a sharpening :twisted:

No hand or tenon saws for me for at least 2 weeks :D

Perhaps the student should be taught how to do their own sharpening! :idea:

Roy.

wizer":3kbxjg76 said:
Holiday Deserved. :lol:

Paul Chapman":3kbxjg76 said:
=D> =D> =D>

Well done - enjoy your holiday.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thank you both - can't wait for a break, weather looks terrible but it's a week away and apparently you've got to expect rain on a holiday in the Lake District!
Pretty much guarantee that when I come back there will be a pile more tenon saws waiting for me though!!

Ian

Digit":24tegolf said:
Perhaps the student should be taught how to do their own sharpening! :idea:

Roy.

No - can't do that, let the lovely students abuse their saws as it's more work for us :D

iajon69":1qb8npll said:
punkrockdad":1qb8npll said:
Do you use a jig or is it all by eye?

I used a re-toother to re-cut all the new teeth in which saved a lot of time but all the setting and sharpening was done by hand/eye.

I make that around 14,000 teeth!

I guess with that much practice, any need for aids falls away.

I most definitely still need mine. At a guess I've done 20-30 resharpenings in my life.

BTW, you should let the students sharpen their own saws. IME, it would mean many more retoothings you could charge for... :whistle:

BugBear

Aled Dafis":3cqfl2zy said:
Ian

I have a job for you when you get back. :D :D

Aled

Hi Aled

I will be back in work on the 15th of September and hopefully my hands will have stopped hurting by then!

bugbear":3cqfl2zy said:
I make that around 14,000 teeth!

I guess with that much practice, any need for aids falls away.

I most definitely still need mine. At a guess I've done 20-30 resharpenings in my life.

BTW, you should let the students sharpen their own saws. IME, it would mean many more retoothings you could charge for... :whistle:

BugBear

No wonder my hands are still hurting - shame I couldn't charge per tooth :D

I put a motor on the re-toother so it would re-cut a tenon saw in just under 2 minutes so it didn't take too long to get them all re-cut.
The hard part was the setting and sharpening!

I like your way of thinking - I will have to have a word with the college to see if they will let the students have a go at sharpening them before we get them back in next time :wink:

Ian

South Wales colleges must be a bit more with it than many institutions I have seen where expensive tools have never received any TLC. It galls me both as a woodworker and as a taxpayer.

waterhead37":9sm5ongm said:
South Wales colleges must be a bit more with it than many institutions I have seen where expensive tools have never received any TLC. It galls me both as a woodworker and as a taxpayer.

We sharpen saws for about 5 local schools/colleges and they send them in for sharpening during the holidays. One of them has just asked about hardpoint tenon saws so they might be going down that road which is a shame.

One of the colleges use Disston tenon saws and they are really well looked after.

We've dealt with the colleges for a good few years now and they seem keen to look after the saws and tools that they have so they send them in fairly regularly for servicing :D

Ian

Back