Had a Japanesey day today!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Been toying with this idea for a while and some toys my grandaughters were playing with gave me the idea for the finial/handle.
All bits out of Sycamore and very much a WIP as I`ve not put anything on it yet. Found some Japanese peace symbols (free) and made a stencil for 4 of them, might do some colouring or pyro on the lid/finial but haven`t decided yet. Hope you like it but comments welcome as usual.Apologies for the shots sun playing havoc with me camera :)

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

Cheers
Steve

really like the idea, and presentation of the top, lid and filial.

the bowls outer curve seems a bit of a miss match (to the above) to me.

really like this steve, i would have prefered the lid a darker colour but keeping the same colour finia, lgreat all the same.

I love it, I agree that any more decoration would be over the top. I love the shape as it has a number of shapes and forms but they all work together.

Thanks for the comments guys appreciated. You never know how these things are going to turn out (scuse the pun). I do think about designing these things before going on the lathe but probably like most of us I have a rough idea in my head and it sort of evolves as it goes.
I hoped all the sycamore would come out the same colour :? . What about Tung oil on the lid which should darken it a bit and just Lemon oil on the main form which should`nt darken it so they might meet somewhere in the middle :)
Cheers
Steve

Nice one Steve, I also think the sun shadows in the shots add a really nice atmosphere to the photos.

Regards,

mikec

Hi Neil
Glad you like it. It's a clever little gadget called a Craft Robo I recently treat myself to. I'm still learning how to use it but it can cut out in vynil more or less what you design on screen.
Steve

Hi Steve

I didn't rush to comment as I keep coming back and looking at it and trying to imagine it with the extra options as it were regarding the lid and finial.

Everytime I look at it I like it as it is and sometimes less is more, so for my tuppence worth I would leave it as you have it.

Really like it

gasmansteve":1cevgeqq said:
Hi Neil
Glad you like it. It's a clever little gadget called a Craft Robo I recently treat myself to. I'm still learning how to use it but it can cut out in vynil more or less what you design on screen.
Steve
Hi, just googled Craft Robo, looks like a well handy gadget although with all the woodturning tools I still have on my wish list it will be a while till I get one!

Back