Guns,guns, and more Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The days of Dixon of dock green are long gone, the days when you had more bobbies on the beat than sitting in a car or behind a desk and they were the front line. They knew their beat and the people, they would be in a position to curb criminal activity before it got big time. Now they are distant from the community, weighed down by bureaucracy and paperwork whilst facing an onslaught from the drug gangs who almost rule the streets. Now add to this the politicaly correct brigade and wokyism and they are setup to fail, whatever they do or say will be wrong in someones view yet people complain they are not making our streets safe. Then to add insult to injury you have our system of locking them up in Butlins camps where they can get further education and when released are even more hardened to a life of crime. If you are faced by someone with a gun, a trucheon is as good as a feather duster, they should just be allowed to take them out, this addresses the issue of re-offending and ongoing expense to the tax payer as well as setting an example to others who may be thinking of carrying a weapon. As for drugs, why not get the users to solve the issue for you, instead of just seizing drugs from ports and raids poison it and put it back into the system, now when a user shows signs of this poisoning they need to handover a dealer in exchange for medical help.
That’s an interesting idea, and one I hadn’t heard before, I just can’t see it ever happening.

As for drugs, why not get the users to solve the issue for you, instead of just seizing drugs from ports and raids poison it and put it back into the system, now when a user shows signs of this poisoning they need to handover a dealer in exchange for medical help.

I'd be dead, yet have lived a very decent life for the past 23 years and even prior to that was pretty harmless except to myself. I have seen hundreds of addicts change their spots, leading very productive lives giving back far more than they ever took.
It would be a sad world if people didn't get a second chance.
I congratulate you on never breaking the law.

10,400 assaults on police resulting in injury. Yeah, ghee, no reason for them to be able to protect themselves.
Talking about the UK.

How many police have died at the hands of "the public" and how many people have died while in police custody?

I'd be dead, yet have lived a very decent life for the past 23 years and even prior to that was pretty harmless except to myself. I have seen hundreds of addicts change their spots, leading very productive lives giving back far more than they ever took.
It would be a sad world if people didn't get a second chance.
I congratulate you on never breaking the law.
Best thing for the drug prob could be to legalise it, regulate for safety and quality, tax like tobacco and alcohol, then to treat addiction and side effects just like any other disease. Take out the criminality and the very high social cost - it'd pay for itself.

Best thing for the drug prob could be to legalise it, regulate for safety and quality, tax like tobacco and alcohol, then to treat addiction and side effects just like any other disease. Take the criminality out of it.
Maybe, but by no means a solution, alcohol is a far bigger issue than "drugs". People only recover if they are willing, the majority are not willing, my particular "habit" recovery rate is about 3% long term.
My real bugbear is that it is not right that young kids can buy 3litres of white lightning for a fiver.
I'm not a preacher of temperance, people have choice.

How many of those 30 homicides were police shooting someone? What's the evidence for not having the police armed?

https://assets.publishing.service.g...chment_data/file/817742/hosb1119-assaults.pdf
10,400 assaults on police resulting in injury. Yeah, ghee, no reason for them to be able to protect themselves.
They asked for taser, which would be used only in the most dire of circumstances, and we allowed them to have it.
Taser use has been steadily growing, from 2000 in England and Wales in 2018/19, to 2700 in 2019/20, and as of 2021 the figure stands at 3300.
3300 😒 "In Dire Circumstances".
Faux pah tasings. A blind man, who's stick they mistook for a gun, a pregnant woman, and other severely disabled people. There is currently an investigation of police use of the taser against ethnic minorities seemingly as a form of entertainment.

If all the UK police had guns, the death toll would be high. First priority for uk police is to go for the stick rather than the carrot.

The days of Dixon of dock green are long gone, the days when you had more bobbies on the beat than sitting in a car or behind a desk and they were the front line. They knew their beat and the people, they would be in a position to curb criminal activity before it got big time. Now they are distant from the community, weighed down by bureaucracy and paperwork whilst facing an onslaught from the drug gangs who almost rule the streets. Now add to this the politicaly correct brigade and wokyism and they are setup to fail, whatever they do or say will be wrong in someones view yet people complain they are not making our streets safe. Then to add insult to injury you have our system of locking them up in Butlins camps where they can get further education and when released are even more hardened to a life of crime. If you are faced by someone with a gun, a trucheon is as good as a feather duster, they should just be allowed to take them out, this addresses the issue of re-offending and ongoing expense to the tax paAs for drugs, why not get the users to solve the issue for you, instead of just seizing drugs from ports and raids poison it and put it back into t

I’d love for us to reintroduce the Police practices of the sixties and seventies. All that fitting up, bribery, misogyny and racism is just what we need to sort the drug problem. Shoot to kill - the icing on the cake and poisoning vulnerable people to try and get them to grass … the real foundations of a civilised society :unsure::rolleyes:

As a one time sports shooter, I've loaded and fired many thousands of rounds. Far more I'm sure than even a lot of armed police. Despite all this practice, all the priority placed on safety and under no more stress than simple competition, I know it's possible to make a safety mistake and instantly be stopped by the range officer on the course. The adrenaline hit when you get pulled up like that was like a slap in the face ! Not something you ever want to repeat.

The more guns in the hands of serving police officers - most I suspect who would rather not be carrying them and would not be practicing hundreds of rounds a week - the more mistakes are guaranteed to happen. And they don't have someone standing at their shoulder to pull them up.

More tablesaws would probably lead to more severed fingers.
More guns (in anyone's hands) would likewise lead to more shootings.

is just what we need to sort the drug problem
I can see no solution to "the drug problem" until, either, people decide not to buy drugs or drugs are decriminalised so that people can't make an obscene profit from them.

Best thing for the drug prob could be to legalise it, regulate for safety and quality, tax like tobacco and alcohol, then to treat addiction and side effects just like any other disease. Take out the criminality and the very high social cost - it'd pay for itself.

Like heroin? Wow. Totally naive.

With no demonizing of heroin, and clean product available, people wanting to stop if they feel its out of hand would have more places to convalesce.
That's never going happen or work. It's not comparable to tobacco, alcohol or marijuana in it's effects and damage to humans or it's addictiveness. Not only that but by dedemonizing it as you suggest would likely open it to more users which only goes one way in terms of the impact on general society, down down down. Extremely naive observation.

I've not read the entire thread so may be missing some points but while your original post has some sense in it, it is a typical opinion of those who don't truly understand the issues facing police in the US and it's typical of those who rely solely on UK mainstream media for their information as to the US.

I was reading that Portugal decriminalised all drugs a while back, so there should be some hard data available. I think one has to distinguish between legalising, and decriminalising usage.
Meanwhile in the UK, the government were talking about harsher penalties for cocaine users, at the same time as it was revealed that traces of cocaine were found in 11 out of 12 (don't quote me - I may have misremembered the exact figure)of the toilets in the house of commons!

it is a typical opinion of those who don't truly understand the issues facing police in the US and it's typical of those who rely solely on UK mainstream media for their information as to the US.
Absolutely agree, I spend a lot of time in the States, certainly wouldn’t want a Policeman’s risks on a daily basis.
When I read the biased slant our wonderful uk media put on things American sometimes, I really do wonder what their agenda is.

gangs and drug stuff are a problem. How much? I don't know. I think the 80s and 90s thing to scare people was the idea that crazed drug zombies would be running around with guns, but the reality is that the shooters are turf guarders (distribution level above users).
USA is a society built on crime, genocide, murder, and violence, so the problems they have are neither new nor easily solved. Like Canada, Australia and New Zealand, they had the ill fortune of getting the nastiest of the nasty as settlers, the British! All you ordinary Poms are fine, but it is high time you rid yourselves with all the parasites, - the royals, the aristocracy, and the greedy financiers! And let Julian Assange go free, but lock up Tony Blair instead. And I am not too pleased with Norway's new Quisling, Stoltenberg, either!
Howar Zinn's A People's History of the United States should be the history book for US children, and also for all the US vassal states.

Gun crime is very low in UK Firearm Crime Statistics: England & Wales - House of Commons Library and there is no case for having the police more armed. It's not a left wing issue at all, that's a really stupid idea
The most recent data suggests that there were 30 homicides committed by shooting in the year ending 31 March 2020 – 4% of all homicides. Of these 30 victims, 20% were female and 80% were male.
Brother relax it's only one day after boxing day and I am of on holidays and enjoying family time so this is very heavy energy buddy so I will wish you well brother. Be cool.

Back