Quantcast

guitar repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It was when I married in 1999 that my brother gift me a guitar as wedding gift and it was my wife who left the guitar (Ibanez) in the car in a sunny day :cry: .
However it has not been done a great damage: it only is softened the circle around the central hole.
After the guitar has been seen by an expert I put it in the case for about 3 years.
Now, I am moving to the new home, I have opened the case and the glue which sticked the circle is dripped over the front panel. :cry: :cry:
I thought to repair it sanding all the wood and painting again.

Do you have any advices about guitar repair??

Thanks

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
How far has the glue dripped ? could you not cover the damage with a scratch plate ? As for sanding down id do it by hand as most under £1000 guitars are not solid timber but veneered plywood and even if it is solid timber the whole structure and shape of a guitar may not take to kindly to a ROS or the like . Hope this helps :D

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
Try using the glues solvent. If the rosette was glued with animal or PVA plain water may remove the offending matter. Worth a try and providing the finish on the guitar is a modern laquer probably harmless.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Why didn't I think? It may be animal glue truly!!
I'll try with lukewarm water and I'll do to know you the result. :D

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
When trying to dissolve glues on finished objects be very careful due to the possibility that the solvent may also have adverse effects on the finish. I very much doubt that Ibanez used animal glue on their instruments but if water fails you may try Methylated spirits which does dissolve PVA/Titebond type glues - it will also dissolve certain varnishes/finishes. Advisable to try on a small and inconspicuous area first.