guitar repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It was when I married in 1999 that my brother gift me a guitar as wedding gift and it was my wife who left the guitar (Ibanez) in the car in a sunny day :cry: .
However it has not been done a great damage: it only is softened the circle around the central hole.
After the guitar has been seen by an expert I put it in the case for about 3 years.
Now, I am moving to the new home, I have opened the case and the glue which sticked the circle is dripped over the front panel. :cry: :cry:
I thought to repair it sanding all the wood and painting again.

Do you have any advices about guitar repair??

Thanks

How far has the glue dripped ? could you not cover the damage with a scratch plate ? As for sanding down id do it by hand as most under £1000 guitars are not solid timber but veneered plywood and even if it is solid timber the whole structure and shape of a guitar may not take to kindly to a ROS or the like . Hope this helps :D

Try using the glues solvent. If the rosette was glued with animal or PVA plain water may remove the offending matter. Worth a try and providing the finish on the guitar is a modern laquer probably harmless.

Hi All,

Why didn't I think? It may be animal glue truly!!
I'll try with lukewarm water and I'll do to know you the result. :D

When trying to dissolve glues on finished objects be very careful due to the possibility that the solvent may also have adverse effects on the finish. I very much doubt that Ibanez used animal glue on their instruments but if water fails you may try Methylated spirits which does dissolve PVA/Titebond type glues - it will also dissolve certain varnishes/finishes. Advisable to try on a small and inconspicuous area first.

Back