Grass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats true, there is actually a waste energy recover place in exeter and possibly one in plymouth 👍
I'll give it some thought 🤷‍♂️

Anyone got an opinion? 😁
Yes, your lawn area is too small to accommodate grass and have kids playing on it - they will wear it out in no time.

I dare say it would be a selling point if you ever moved!

Ask a landscaper or a local parks groundsman what kind of seed they recommend for clay substrate with stones and kids. There are grass varieties which can stand horses, sheep and goats, farmers don't plough their pasture, nor treat it special, they just let it grow.We had a small farm in Ireland when I was growing up, the animal's pasture was next to the house, they grazed it, me and the large number of cousins ( think the Waltons multiplied by 4 or 5 ) ran about on it , played hurling, football, the works.It withstood all that.Loads of kids.
The only thing that can trample grass into mud that it cant recover from is ducks.
Our ducks, geese and chickens came into the house a lot.

But leave her backside out, you'll then have somewhere to park your bike😂😂😂
Well, we know who isn't ever getting an invite to dinner at Kevs place, bet you charm all the ladies with that one.
The spirit of Benny Hill lives on :ROFLMAO:
I seem to remember that Mr Hill only pretended to be interested in the ladies.

Well off the topic but,,I watched an episode of Benny Hill recently and its now quite a shock to see an endless parade of dollybirds with big chests and sticking out nipples and all the sketches just seemed to consist of chasing these birds around or unbelivably, the ladies chasing Benny around! I suppose were no longer used to such scenes,,,,a wonder he was able to get away with it even then.
Steve.

The moss has won.

20230409_122407.jpg

Head Gardener has decreed that it's not worth even thinking about how to get rid of it, given that we're living in a car wash.

The moss has won.

Head Gardener has decreed that it's not worth even thinking about how to get rid of it, given that we're living in a car wash.

The lawn at the front of my house is in shade almost the entire day, and the moss was spreading. Three years ago, after running the scarifier brutally over the entire lawn, I spread fertilizer that had a higher than normal iron content. I think the iron content was 15 percent by weight, and the moss was dead less than two days later. After a few days of raking up the dead moss, I overseeded the area and the moss hasn't been back since.

The moss has won.

View attachment 156917
Ours similar. The grass takes over eventually, but I don't mind the moss - it makes a good lawn in itself, especially this time of year if you are sitting around in the garden.

Chickens will shift it. Had a real problem with moss at the last place so kept moving a chicken ark around the lawn. Scarified and fertilised in one pass, never had moss again and the bonus of eggs (although for what the ark cost the eggs should have been gold plated :mad:)

I decided for our front area ( where its shady and the moss seens to take over ) that I'm going to rotavate it and put own wild flower meadow seeds with some topsoil.....
It might look awful or the miss might take over again, but I'll give it a go 😆

I "think" I'm going to rotavate, add a few dumpy bags of topsoil and returf. If it works out, great, if not, hopefully we'll get a couple of years out of it 🤷‍♂️

I cant buy plastic grass, i wrestled with the idea, but its not happening 😕

Ferrous sulphate, dissolve in warm water add to backpack sprayer and all the moss will die.
You then need to remove the dead moss by raking/scarifying.
Though if you mix it too strong the grass will also die............
The iron (ferrous) also greens and hardens the grass.

If the moss is inches thick it requires several doses.

Ferrous sulphate is acidic, so don't get it on your skin or inhale the spray mist. It also stains anything brown (think rust) clothes paths etc.

Ferrous sulphate, dissolve in warm water add to backpack sprayer and all the moss will die.

Ferrous sulphate is acidic, so don't get it on your skin or inhale the spray mist. It also stains anything brown (think rust) clothes paths etc.
what will ferrous sulphate do to clay roof tiles whilst removing moss

what will ferrous sulphate do to clay roof tiles whilst removing moss
What's all this moss anxiety thing about?
Moss on roofs is quite picturesque and utterly harmless. It may even protect the roof surface from heat extremes and weathering, as well as being slightly insulating. The only prob is blocked gutters very occasionally but it's very easy to scoop out and much less trouble than removing all of it.
Leave that moss alone! o_O
And save yourself a lot of unnecessary effort and expenditure.

Last edited:

Yep, thanks, i have done that before, but didnt remove the dead moss and the darned stuff seemed to come back stronger 🤦 should have scraped it up.

I picked up a second hand Honda powered rotavator this evening, so now i just need a few dry days in a row..... not looking promising for a while 😆

What's all this moss anxiety thing about?
Moss on roofs is quite picturesque and utterly harmless. It may even protect the roof surface from heat extremes and weathering, as well as being slightly insulating. The only prob is blocked gutters very occasionally but it's very easy to scoop out and much less trouble compared to removing all of it.
Leave that moss alone! o_O
And save yourself a lot of unnecessary effort and expenditure.
I agree, moss can look quite good in other peoples gardens, and on the moors etc, but not in my garden 🤣🤪

Back