Grass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If moss grows on glass for along time ( many years ) it microscopically pits the glass, glass is not known for having surface fissures.Next time you see a deserted moss covered building with any windows, if you can, root around to find some glass with moss on .remove the moss by simple rubbing, wash to remove dirt. The glass surface is pitted.
Been googling on this and can find nothing at all. Seems to be a myth.
Except you can get pitting on motor vehicle glass - unmade roads, loose grit etc.
I can imagine moss covered old bangers in a scrap yard, could this be the origin of the idea; moss on glass following the pitting on windscreens, but not vice versa?

I'm sorry to hear about your grass woes – it can be really disheartening to see your hard work not pay off, especially with something as visible as your lawn. It does sound like the compaction is a major issue here, which, as you've noticed, affects drainage and consequently the health of your grass.

Before you consider bringing in a rotavator, you might want to look into a more targeted approach to relieve soil compaction and improve drainage. Aerating the soil, more intensively than with just a fork, can help. There are tools specifically for this, or you could hire a professional service to ensure it's done deeply and effectively.

After aerating, applying a top dressing (a mix of sand, soil, and compost) can further help improve soil structure and drainage. It might be a bit of work, but it's a crucial step towards a healthier lawn.

When it comes to reseeding, choosing the right type of grass seed is key. Given your situation – a lawn that gets waterlogged yet has to endure heat – you'll need a resilient variety. I’d recommend this type of seed:https://www.relentlessgardener.co.uk/product/hard-wearing-grass-seed/. This could be a great solution to not just bring your lawn back to life, but give it a fighting chance of staying green and lush.

Hope this helps!

Back