Grass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No mention of frost or moss. :unsure:
Although my thoughts on using said moss to protec6t the top of the wood from the sun drying it out sounds plausible, as moss holds water pretty well, and is really tight knit which would be ideal for sun protection.

That said, Egypt is a very hot country, and moss seems to prefer to grow in wetter climates, so i don't know what its availability would be.
I know moss was used for wounds, but maybe not for building, or perhaps if it were, then some sort of binder in mortar.

Arrrrgh "I think" is not a fact. I can now see why you got banned previously, you just argue for arguements sake.
And so, young Grasshopper, you have now reached stage 2 of your initiation into the secret rites of the Society Of The World According To Jacob.

I was under the impression that they first drilled holes, then hammered in wooden stakes, which they then soaked. The water expanded the wood and the pressure from multiple stakes caused the stone to crack*
They used both methods, in combination, and separately, depending on season and exact locality ( Egypt , the political entity, being a big place at the time(s) ( spaning a few thousand years, and with a pretty big empire ) , bigger ( longer along the nile , and wider in some places, narrower in others ) previously than it is now .

I was under the impression that they first drilled holes, then hammered in wooden stakes, which they then soaked. The water expanded the wood and the pressure from multiple stakes caused the stone to crack*

*If this has been explained earlier in this thread before some nonsense about moss, please ignore.
Unless of course moss was used, as in to keep the stakes wet in a very hot climate.
Dont you guys know anything? The pyramids were built by aliens 👽
One of their ancestors ( donald trump ) still represents them 😆

And so, young Grasshopper, you have now reached stage 2 of your initiation into the secret rites of the Society Of The World According To Jacob
There was a kid at one of my schools back in the 60s similar, stubborn as a menhir, couldn't let things go,always had to have the last word, especially when wrong, actually stood once saying "lah lah lah can't hear you" we called him "Billy no mates" back then.Could have had mates, bright kid, but just irritated the f out of everyone..shame..
Ah well as Noel says..it's only the internet..must be a right embug...ance for the mods though.

It gets mentioned in here MINING AND QUARRYING IN ANCIENT EGYPT | Facts and Details
and the use of fire.
No mention of frost or moss. :unsure:
A mine of information!

You should write a book on how the pyramids were built with your new found expertise, after all people have been perplexed about it for thousands of years.

Though finding one site on the internet does not an expert make..

Wooden wedges soaked in water and expanding exerts a force of hydraulic action, as does water turning into ice and expanding.

Before the Great Pyramid, the Egyptians hadn’t cut the stones accurately enough to make the joints really tight. They had problems with what’s called ‘freeze thaw’. This is when moisture gets into the joints, so if the weather gets cold enough, the water freezes, solidifies and expands – pushing the joint apart.

That cycle of the joints being opened and closed effectively makes buildings fall apart, and we have that problem today. The Egyptians had realised that – they knew that if they could construct joints so tight that water couldn’t get in, then the building would not destroy itself and it would last a long time. They did this in the Great Pyramid.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/how-have-the-egyptian-pyramids-lasted-so-long/
But you are welcome to own the internet because you deserve it.

Last edited:
You should write a book on how the pyramids were built with your new found expertise, after all people have been perplexed about it for thousands of years.
Wooden wedges soaked in water and expanding exerts a force of hydraulic action, as does water turning into ice and expanding.
yes - the first is a useful stone masonry technique but the second is an accidental natural occurrence and not a useable quarrying or stone masonry technique - quite the opposite, as your link explains.
But you are welcome to own the internet because you deserve it.
Thanks for that. You should try it yourself a bit more often!

Last edited:
yes - the first is a useful stone masonry technique but the second is an accidental natural occurrence and not a useable quarrying or stone masonry technique.

So please explain master how do mountains turn into rocks.

Though freeze thaw is merely one of the many causes.

Back to the original point though moss retains moisture on roofs, preventing it from drying out. This allows for many more freeze thaw cycles and helping degrade the roof in my opinion.

You obviously need the last word to collect more likes so I'm out now, as I have important things in life to do.

Enjoy.

No..it was your mortgage..or was that groundhog day .
ps.you know that alien is green not orange don't you Kev ?
Im pretty sure my mortgage thread didnt include moss or donald trump, though it was a twisting turning voyage of opinions about everything but my mortgage options 🤣

I believe one of the aliens mated with an orangutan, which slowly led to the evolution of donald trump.... it was on nat geo or discovery or something, im sure i saw a programme about it 😆

Dont you guys know anything? The pyramids were built by aliens 👽
So the aliens come down from space, to teach the Egyptians how to build. I can just see that conversation.

'Do we get to use lasers ?, exotic metals to hew and shape the stone ?' ask the Egyptian craftsmen.
No. you get this copper chisel.

Latest posts

Back