Grand children hanger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWood80

Established Member
Reaction score
No its not some weird torture device...
This is the other project I have been working on today, im really quite pleased with myself for creating this. It's designed so that it can be added to.
Only bad thing is I dont think I've charged enough for it. I'm new at this and struggle to decide on what to charge people, I'm too afraid of customers saying no if I give a large price. This took from start to finish about 6-7 hours including the design process. I'd be very interested in what you guys would charge for it.

The top runner is just under 300mm long to give you some idea on size.

Attachments

• lowrescopy2.jpg
    lowrescopy2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 825
If I made that for one of my craft fair customers it would have to be in the region of £70. What you have to take on board is that the customer could never buy anything like that in any shop. On top of that it is not imported from China and the customer is getting something that is lovingly made by hand and will last a lifetime.

After getting caught in the middle of about 60 schoolkids on Friday, this turns out to be not what I wanted. :D

I've always found it difficult to put a price on my work (not scrolling) which is why my business was more of a loss making hobby, but I think that if I had made this as a one off, I would be happy to get Geoff's price for it. I think, as scrollers, we have to accept that we will never get paid for the time we put in.

It's a nice idea, and I notice you can remove names if the kids have been naughty. ;)

Very nice family tree idea and cut very well.

I hate having to price stuff for a commission which is why I tend to make stuff to give away as gifts. We will never be able to charge by the hour because the cost would be far too high. I tend to use the scale of how much would I be prepared to pay for this item. But it's all guess work with me I'm afraid.

I don't think we will ever get the price an item deserves. If I worked out a price for my items based on £10 an hour I would not sell a thing. Its always difficult pricing things because most of the people we are selling to have no idea what's involved and we all know that if we go to high we wont make a sale. I really love scrolling and I have to sell what I make so I can make some more. If I make £200 at a craft fair I will spend that on more wood, blades etc and it also pays for any machine I might need as well.

Great piece and a clever idea. Personally, I'd rather charge a fair price for something even if it doesn't sell rather than sell it cheap. It really amazes me the prices many American scrollers charge for their work on sites like Etsy. I couldn't but the materials for the prices they sell their stuff for.

Back