Latest thing you have printed / machined / cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezman

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would create a similar thread to the latest thing you have made in the woodwork forums.

I've been printing ad hoc since I got the printer a couple of weeks ago. Some things have been held up with well life getting in the way. Today I printed one of the things that i had been wanting that lead me to purchasing a 3d printer. It is a flared nozzle for my little bosch pro blower. It is 160mm wide, and about 200mm tall. The X1C printed this first time, using PLA-CF, and took a smidge over 3 hours. It fitted perfectly first time too. Oh I staggered the seams too - thought that would give more strength - it also gave it the knobbly look. Thats the only bit I'm disappointed with.

flared hose.jpg

I didn't design this myself - though I am starting to get on with Fusion 360 now. It is from here

So what have you all been up to printing, cutting and machining?

Last edited:
As there is a slow start to the thread I'll post the thing I made before last. I have a desk tidy to keep my pens in and the pens always drop down in the compartments. My ink bottles are also a bit short so difficult to grab out. I made inserts to hold pens and ink nicely. Realy simple but very useful. These are done with PLA
IMG_3752.jpeg

1687863298376.png

1687863325470.png

Another quick print today. I bought a length of diffuser extrusion for LED light strips top go under the wall units in my daughters kitchen. I bought a single 3m length as I need a few peices. Of course it only came with two end caps. I draw them in Fusion 360 and printed the extras out. These are in PLA.
tempImageGjl54W.jpg
The ones on the left are the origionals and the right the printed versions. They fit very nicely.
tempImagedkD5hJ.jpg

Post cappings for oversized 145mm balcony posts. Inset underneath to fit post and drip groove that works well. Modelled in Fusion360 and printed in waterproof white PETG on Prusa Mk3S. Would have been expensive to have made in timber and would need custom jig on table saw to make myself. Colour a good match. You can see print lines close up but fine from any distance.

Attachments

• IMG_4397.jpeg
    IMG_4397.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
These look cool, what's the advantage of using a ball valve over the more traditional blast gate?
Occasionally, my blast gates would need cleaning out as debris would prevent the gate from fully closing. The ball valves don't clog. I think the action of the ball turning and the close fit of the ball means they self-clear. My theory anyway.

Occasionally, my blast gates would need cleaning out as debris would prevent the gate from fully closing. The ball valves don't clog. I think the action of the ball turning and the close fit of the ball means they self-clear. My theory anyway.
Ooooo I may have to give these a try myself this weekend, I need to redo my blast gates anyway, thanks.

I've made yet another thing today, well last night it took untill today to print. I have an MFT trolly and took it to my daughters to work on her kitchen install. I discovere3d the trolly is too tall to stand up in the back of my landrover. I had to lay it down and then it was a pain to push in to the back as the skid strips gripped to the rubber floor mats just a bit too much. I decided a couple of castors would help the situation. I bought a couple of castors from Amazon but then needed a way to fit them to the trolly so as not to up[set the functionality of the trolly. This is what I came up with. The castors now slot into the slots in the end supports. They have a thumb depressable clip to stop them falling out. I printed these to ensure maximum strenth where it is needed but also incorporated some screws in the design to give extra strength.

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

The 'legs' are morticed in to the plate and screws extend 40mm through to hold them in place and strengthen where the 'legs' push in to the domino holes.

I can now store them in the drawer on the trolly and just slide them in when I need them.

Edit. Those who have seen my trolly before will note the addition of bolts to the drawers. The drawer slides are self locking but i found that excessive bumping while dragging accross the garden or when it's face down in the Landrover the latches would undo. The bolts stop the bouncing which causes the latched to let go.

Last edited:
Found a nice block of purple heart in my scraps, so thought I'd make it into a little box. I was reading an article on how to make a jig for a router table to make routing out the hollow easier/safer when I realised I have a cnc why don't I just do it on that.

Used a round bit to give some nice corners.

If I planned on using the cnc from the outset I think I would have done it all on the cnc including cutting out the final profile, as it is I had already machined it down to the size I wanted, so it's not quite even all the way round. Need to figure out a better way of aligning things to the axis on the cnc. Might carve a grid into cnc bed.

Still figuring out speeds and feeds, pocket is 10mm deep I ended up doing 5 passes I think. I should have added a final finishing pass with more overlap to smooth the bottom out. Sanding out the cut lines was a pain.

Got some tear out unfortunately, but other than that pretty happy for a quick project.
PXL_20230714_070839963~2.jpg
PXL_20230714_070913278~2.jpg

Nice box but I have to say - unpopularly - that more and more I despair at "woodworking" being "I used some software, pressed a button and voila "I made a box", yeah, not so much.

I'm not a traditionalist of woodworking the way Andy T (formerly of this forum) was/is, but I can see why some stand a post on that bastion.

Also, I wish my purpleheart had those black streaks, looks way better, my chunks are just bland purple, and still stink something like 10 years later. Does it EVER go away?

Nice box but I have to say - unpopularly - that more and more I despair at "woodworking" being "I used some software, pressed a button and voila "I made a box", yeah, not so much.

that would be why there is a woodworking forum, and the CNC / 3D printing forum. Your in the latter - for woodworking discussions you may want to jump over to the other forum.

Nice box @supertom44 - never worked with Purpleheart I must get some.

Found a nice block of purple heart in my scraps, so thought I'd make it into a little box. I was reading an article on how to make a jig for a router table to make routing out the hollow easier/safer when I realised I have a cnc why don't I just do it on that.

Used a round bit to give some nice corners.

If I planned on using the cnc from the outset I think I would have done it all on the cnc including cutting out the final profile, as it is I had already machined it down to the size I wanted, so it's not quite even all the way round. Need to figure out a better way of aligning things to the axis on the cnc. Might carve a grid into cnc bed.

Still figuring out speeds and feeds, pocket is 10mm deep I ended up doing 5 passes I think. I should have added a final finishing pass with more overlap to smooth the bottom out. Sanding out the cut lines was a pain.

Got some tear out unfortunately, but other than that pretty happy for a quick project.View attachment 162639View attachment 162638
How do you keep your purple heart so purple?
I turned a few pieces recently and, although they started a nice purple colour, they were rather underwhelming afterwards.
Is there a secret to keeping the purpleness please?

Back