Grab Handles in Shower

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocher

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, my 96 year old MiL has just decide that she needs grab rails in her shower. The shower was refitted with those formica type panels (about 9/10mm thick) about 3 years ago. She now wants grab handles fitted. I am loath to drill through the panels as any handles in my mind will need to be anchored to the studs behind and I am not confident even with a stud finder that I will find the correct place to screw them in.

So I am now thinking of some suction type grab handles and have found these on the web - Bathroom Grab Rail Chrome - Buy 1 Get 1 Free

I was wondering if anyone has experience of fitting a screw in grab handle and what to look out for.

And also if anyone has used/fitted these types of suction grab handles for some one who is now a little unsteady in their shower?

Thanks

The problem with the suction type is that they can slip when a lot of weight is applied,i fitted two for my wife to use and had to remove them because of this. Sorry cannot help with your fixture needs as mine go into solid walls.

I would place the grab handles where your MIL could grab them, not where the studs happen to be. I have no experience of suction handles but I would be a bit careful. I'm sure there must be good ones available but there could be dodgy ones available also.

I fitted some screw-in grab handles for my mother. That was on a wall with tiles on plasterboard. I used some of those metal toggles that expand on the far side of the board. There was no problem with that.

I replaced a broken glass panel in my own shower with a panel such as you describe. I haven't fitted grab handles but I wouldn't worry about doing that if I had to. The plywood is good quality and a strong mounting should be possible.

Keep away from suction ones as Just4Fun said use the toggle fixings I have had no problems with my ones.

And they need placing where your MIL needs them not where you can find a stud.

At a push can you get to the studs from the other side of the wall? I would consider taking the plasterboard off that side and put whatever noggins are needed for the rails and make good.. Anything to do with air suction will fail and that's the last thing you want on your conscience if she slips and falls. Remember how many times your satnav fell off your windscreen? that's why the good ones for lifting glass have a pump built in to keep them topped up whilst handling.

some suction type grab handles
Unless you are looking to do away with her then don't bother, they will probably let go when she needs them most. If you do not want to find studs then use either Togglers or the more traditional spring toggles and silicon to seal on assembly.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think the spring toggles are going to be the best way. But to check where she would like the grab handles to be I am going to get some suction ones as a try out, and then fit the permanent ones. I'm not worried about the extra cost

I've used the suction handles for quite a few years now but I only use them for support and not to put any weight on them because they work after they've been fitted but loose suction over time and even though they are still hanging on the wall as soon as you touch them they fall off. I've lost count of how many times they've fallen off during the night and woke me up.
If you intend to go ahead and use these suction handles I would make a point of checking that they are secured properly before your mil uses the bath/shower. Better still, don't use them.
Edit: Forgot to mention that I use them on a tiled wall so a really smooth surface.

My wife and I have been using suction grab handles in the shower for a few years now. We are both in our late 70's and use them just to steady ourselves when washing feet etc. They have proved to be extremely useful and reliable on a glazed tile surface which has been scrupulously cleaned before attachment. We check that they are firmly attached before we use them, and if they did fail, we would probably be able to recover quite easily. Having said all that I would never use them to support anything like body weight or in a situation where failure could lead to injury. Every "now and then" I remove for cleaning and re-attachment. We bought them from Amazon some years ago, and they still appear to be available on Amazon albeit from a different supplier but dispatched by Amazon. Follow this link and read the warning.

I believe the OP needs to secure a handle to a stud/noggin to be 100% sure that it would hold when really needed.

My wife and I have been using suction grab handles in the shower for a few years now. We are both in our late 70's and use them just to steady ourselves when washing feet etc. They have proved to be extremely useful and reliable on a glazed tile surface which has been scrupulously cleaned before attachment. We check that they are firmly attached before we use them, and if they did fail, we would probably be able to recover quite easily. Having said all that I would never use them to support anything like body weight or in a situation where failure could lead to injury. Every "now and then" I remove for cleaning and re-attachment. We bought them from Amazon some years ago, and they still appear to be available on Amazon albeit from a different supplier but dispatched by Amazon. Follow this link and read the warning.

I believe the OP needs to secure a handle to a stud/noggin to be 100% sure that it would hold when really needed.
Thanks - it's really great to have first hand experience of the suction type handles. I agree with you about making sure that I use a screwed in handle and not rely on a suction type especially as she is 96!

Latest posts

Back