• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Gouge buying question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone here knows the best place to buy a new one of these,(Does the quality of steel vary much ?) I only need the steel as I love the Henry Taylor handle that came with it originally... I'd like the same profile and size.... Many thanks for any pointers/links ....
IMG_20210223_113710.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got this sitting on a shelf, any good? If you want closer shots of this double-ender let me know. Got confused by inches though, first time I have used them in decades, don't even know what the figures mean! Not new obviously, but probably good steel. Nick

Attachments

Last edited:

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got this sitting on a shelf, any good? If you want closer shots of this double-ender let me know. Got confused by inches though, first time I have used them in decades, don't even know what the figures mean! Not new obviously, but probably good steel. Nick
Double ender ! Impressive.... That seems like a good idea, my gouge is running out and they'll be loads of steel left which I'll grind into a skew I think.... I'm really bad at figuring out numbers, I'm beyond cr@p at maths, if it's the same diameter as mine I'll be interested for sure, more piks would be great, how much do you want for it? Cheers

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind the gouge you originally posted is a Henry Taylor HS1 which has a different flute profile to most other bowl gouges and is known as a superflute ... think the design was created by Peter Child. Different flute profiles will create different cutting edge profiles even if the same style of grind is applied - you appear to have a swept back grind on yours.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind the gouge you originally posted is a Henry Taylor HS1 which has a different flute profile to most other bowl gouges and is known as a superflute ... think the design was created by Peter Child. Different flute profiles will create different cutting edge profiles even if the same style of grind is applied - you appear to have a swept back grind on yours.
Great advice, do you know if this 'Superflute' still made? It's the first gouge i've ever owned and i love it, all my gouges are swept back, it's the only grind i know... Think i need to go to lathe school :)

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Just found one... Expensive ! Trust me.... And i already have a handle.... Doesn't look like it's possible to purchase just the steel anywhere !!
Can anyone suggest a gouge that is similar?

Last edited:

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this link i post here is the same size as my photos above, thanks....

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
As has been mentioned Ashley Iles sell unhandled gouges & show the shape of their flute which relates to the size of the gouge on their web site

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned Ashley Iles sell unhandled gouges & show the shape of their flute which relates to the size of the gouge on their web site
Thanks Doug, looks good but they're mostly out of stock right now !

Reaction score
Great advice, do you know if this 'Superflute' still made? It's the first gouge i've ever owned and i love it, all my gouges are swept back, it's the only grind i know... Think i need to go to lathe school :)
Yes they are indeed and I use them all the time. Axminster does them. Lovely gouges!

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, one last question, sorry for sounding like a bit of a donut but i just need to know if this 'bar size' is 16mm ... that's the only way my numerical dyslexic brain can figure out if it's the right one.... I'm currently residing in Europe and most of these UK companies are either out of stock or not shipping to Europe so i have no choice but to order one here....

Latest posts