Gouge buying question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone here knows the best place to buy a new one of these,(Does the quality of steel vary much ?) I only need the steel as I love the Henry Taylor handle that came with it originally... I'd like the same profile and size.... Many thanks for any pointers/links ....
IMG_20210223_113710.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_113830.jpg
    IMG_20210223_113830.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210223_113736.jpg
    IMG_20210223_113736.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I've got this sitting on a shelf, any good? If you want closer shots of this double-ender let me know. Got confused by inches though, first time I have used them in decades, don't even know what the figures mean! Not new obviously, but probably good steel. Nick

Attachments

• IMG_6473.jpg
    IMG_6473.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6474.jpg
    IMG_6474.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I've got this sitting on a shelf, any good? If you want closer shots of this double-ender let me know. Got confused by inches though, first time I have used them in decades, don't even know what the figures mean! Not new obviously, but probably good steel. Nick
Double ender ! Impressive.... That seems like a good idea, my gouge is running out and they'll be loads of steel left which I'll grind into a skew I think.... I'm really bad at figuring out numbers, I'm beyond cr@p at maths, if it's the same diameter as mine I'll be interested for sure, more piks would be great, how much do you want for it? Cheers

Bear in mind the gouge you originally posted is a Henry Taylor HS1 which has a different flute profile to most other bowl gouges and is known as a superflute ... think the design was created by Peter Child. Different flute profiles will create different cutting edge profiles even if the same style of grind is applied - you appear to have a swept back grind on yours.

Bear in mind the gouge you originally posted is a Henry Taylor HS1 which has a different flute profile to most other bowl gouges and is known as a superflute ... think the design was created by Peter Child. Different flute profiles will create different cutting edge profiles even if the same style of grind is applied - you appear to have a swept back grind on yours.
Great advice, do you know if this 'Superflute' still made? It's the first gouge i've ever owned and i love it, all my gouges are swept back, it's the only grind i know... Think i need to go to lathe school :)

Back