GOT a sedgwick PT 255×180 Planer Thicknesser now!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob H

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new P/T and was thinking of the PT 255×180 Planer Thicknesser I am going to look at one tomora with a bit of luck. It looks some bit of kit what I have seen but there is not that many good photos of them on the net I can fined so was looking for some vews on it. It will be a big jump so I want to be sure be for I jump in!! :shock:

I have its bigger brother the 12inch MB model and it has performed admirably for the last 10 years or so since i bought it.

workshop-04.jpg

The smaller model is of a similar build quality and should keep going for years. The sedgies are slightly different to the normal combo machines in that the tables dont swing out the way for thicknessing but are fixed so settings and accuracy are kept.

cheers

Jon

Seconded what JonnyD says. I also have one of these. When researching I went into Tewkesbury saw Co where they had lined up Scheppach, record, Rojek(IIRC) and a Sedgwick. What really swung it for me was the Sedgwick fence was rock steady. All the others seemed flimsy by comparison.

Check your power supply. Mine is a little hungry on startup

well it is the fence that has to be the main thing I am looking for after I tried to plane up a pice of oak 6"x6" by 3' on my Elektra Beckum HC260 what a task that was I gave it up as a bad job in the end! It would have been 3x3 if I had kept going!

JohnnyD can you put a pick up for me in thicknesser mode how dose the extraction work for that?

Cheers Rob

I used a 10" one where i used to work, it was often used on big sections 9" x 4" etc and worked well and never had any problems,
I then bought my own and its been great, you wont regret buying one

Rob H":i44fzsy8 said:
well it is the fence that has to be the main thing I am looking for after I tried to plane up a pice of oak 6"x6" by 3' on my Elektra Beckum HC260 what a task that was I gave it up as a bad job in the end! It would have been 3x3 if I had kept going!

JohnnyD can you put a pick up for me in thicknesser mode how dose the extraction work for that?

Cheers Rob

If you look at Jonnyd's photo you can see the hood used in planer mode. For thicknessing, you wind the thicknesser table down a little to free the hood, then simply raise the yellow blade guard vertically, slide the hood underneath it and cover the blades and bed, then bring down the blade gaurd and tighten off. Takes seconds.

Well I phoned D B keighley this morning for a price and he tells me they are on with refurbishing one at the moment and he is going to phone me when its done so I am going to go with that rather than a new one so in the next week or so my elektra beckem will be going up for grabs!

I use a 12" Sedgwick at school, and to say that it's built like a brick outhouse is an understatement! The massive cutterblock really instills a feeling of invincibility, but setting the knives can be tedious, so if you can get a TERSA block fitted do so, it'll save you hours/days in the long run.

I find the fixed tables a real positive as it saves a lot of farting about with tables, and you know that the settings are right every time. Changing from planing to thicknessing on the Sedgwick takes about 20 seconds.

If it were a direct toss up between the Sedgwick and the Jet I'd definately go with the Sedgwick. Unfortunately things aren't quite that straightforward as the Jet is considerably cheaper and has glowing reviews from evryone that owns/uses one. Nice dilema to have mind!

Cheers

Aled

I have just had a look at the jet on the axi site and the sedgwick I am going for is just less than the jet but it is second hand refurbed tho

Rob H":2wb35gcn said:
I have just had a look at the jet on the axi site and the sedgwick I am going for is just less than the jet but it is second hand refurbed tho

In which case I'd reccomend that you go for the Sedgwick, It's truly an industrial machine at a trade price.

I wouldn't worry about it being second hand, it's such a simple machine (but very well made) that there's very little to go wrong. The re-furb should ensure that the tables etc are set correctly and that it's working exactly as it should.

Jammy pipper!!

Cheers

Aled

Although not in the same league as the Jets and Sedgs, my little K439 has similar fixed tables. The extraction hood is just swung 'up and over' to change from one function to another...again, takes about 10 seconds to change and no lifting tables etc - Rob

Jammy pipper!!

Cheers

Aled[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking as I was reading all the comments that keep coming up about the sedgwick but as the bloke a D B said the factory is still up and running and just down the road from his shop so parts for even there old machines are not that hard to get. And I like this bit on there site too!!

The entire suite is built on site, with castings, fabrications and electrical components being sourced wherever possible from leading British manufacturers, to ensure trouble free operation and continuity of supply.

Rob H":3k575787 said:
Jammy pipper!!

Cheers

Aled

Thats what I was thinking as I was reading all the comments that keep coming up about the sedgwick but as the bloke a D B said the factory is still up and running and just down the road from his shop so parts for even there old machines are not that hard to get. And I like this bit on there site too!!

The entire suite is built on site, with castings, fabrications and electrical components being sourced wherever possible from leading British manufacturers, to ensure trouble free operation and continuity of supply.

Can you say where you're getting it from? Do they have a regular line of Sed or do you think this is a one off?

Miles

@ miles_hot

I am gettig it from D B keighley http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk they are in Leeds I know they sell all the new sedgwick lines and they sell any make they have second hand but its better to phone them and ask rather than going on what there site says cos the one I am getting was not on there site and I know it was the only one they had but they recon every thing they sell 2nd hand.

And as I am typing this he has just phoned to say its ready!!! for me to go and see/buy! I dont think I will be coming home with out it!

Been and had a look at the sedgwick today what a beast! the plane/thicknesser capacity is about 5mm less than my electra but the rest of the machine makes up of that! Put a deposit down on it and will pick it up on friday with a bit of look!
When DB say they refurb the machines they mean it every nut and bolt is new the hole thing looks new!
The only thing it dont have is the extractor hood that is missing but I think I can make somthing work!

I dont think you will regret your purchase. The standard dust hood is a folded metal tray which would be quite easy to fabricate from birch ply or mdf. You could also get the part from sedgwick themselves but they can be a bit pricey on parts but worth a phonecall to find out the price.

Cheers

jon

I have just phoned sedgwick for a price!! I think I will be making one or just sweeping up a lot! They want £166.14 for one but that is deliverd!!lol!!

Back