Google search settings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Google a lot but have recently started to become more frustrated as the search results are almost exclusively US based. I have to remember to put UK at the end of every search I do to bring up geographically relevant results.

Signed in as me with a dot co dot uk address so it should know (!!) I'm not based in America.

I know it's not a major issue but it gets a bit frustrating.

Looked at all the settings but can't see anything obvious. Is there a simple solution or am I forever cursed with adding 'uk' at the end of every search?

I had the same problem using Firefox, the easiest way as far as I know is to delete the default Google search, then reinstall it. Should then recognise your in the UK.

Hi Stuart

Try this

1 Do a search on Google.
2 Scroll down to the bottom of the search results page where you can find the current location that Google has for you. The location might be coming from your IP address, your Location History, your Wi-Fi connection, or any locations you've set at http://www.google.com/preferences.
3 To update your location, click Use precise location or Update location.

It will show where it thinks you are

It's to do with your ISP. You might rectify it by disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting. If you are inclined you can find out your IP address from your router then do a IP lookup using a web site that does it and it'll tell you where you 'are'. Once we woke up and BBC thought we were overseas and wouldn't show some content. I contacted my ISP and they said it was an error and to dis-re-connect until I became UK again.

Or if you are going through a proxy server it is probably US based.

If you are using Safari (at least on a Mac...may also be available for PCs) you can add Glims which lets you set the default search option in the URL bar to Google UK

Paul Dye":dvbqdj0y said:
Hi Stuart

Try this

1 Do a search on Google.
2 Scroll down to the bottom of the search results page where you can find the current location that Google has for you. The location might be coming from your IP address, your Location History, your Wi-Fi connection, or any locations you've set at http://www.google.com/preferences.
3 To update your location, click Use precise location or Update location.

It will show where it thinks you are

This appears to have worked for now. I must admit to getting rather paranoid about allowing computers etc. to know my exact location (they are watching me you know!) so I had previously blocked this.

Serves me right!

Thanks all for the help.

On an iPad under Safari choose DuckDuckgo as the search engine then set the region to UK.

Back