Good Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had a call from Good woodworking magazine, trying to sell me a subscription, I can't think where they got my name & number from? I am a bit concerned it may be here??

No it won't be from here Rich. There's no situation where you'd have to give UKW your telephone number. Plus I don't think Charley is the type to be selling customer details.

Have you ever subscribed to GW? What about bought anything from the group that owns GW? Such as books, etc. What about gone to one of their shows?

If not then it's not entirely unusual for a woodworking retailer to sell details.

kasandrich":2wg69gms said:
I have just had a call from Good woodworking magazine, trying to sell me a subscription, I can't think where they got my name & number from? I am a bit concerned it may be here??

Your number/s, address, email and other details will be on numerous lists, (even the local authorities were selling them although reluctant to admit it). Selling lists is a money spinner and these days the sales approaches more are targeted which is why you should never fill in a survey form or indicate your interests unless you want loads of junk mail.

If you've ever bought anything on line, your preferences will have been noted and even if just browsing, there are tracking cookies which feed back sites you visit. (Unless you are knowledgable enough to prevent it).

Happened to me with other publications after I had emailed an advertiser for info on a product. I also subscribe to a GMC publication (woodcarving) and regularly am contacted pushing other mags.

Don't think you can fully prevent it, just be prepared to be rude if necessary if they persist.

Bob

Back