Good alternatives to Tuffsaws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a swedish maker of bandsaw blades, next time my bandsaw blades break I will order a replacement from there and see how it compares. I did just order 3 replacement metal cutting blades from there for my milwaukee portaband, cheaper than buying a 3pcs set from a big box store.

So I get to support local manufacture, small business and save money.

I've also been impressed with Tuffsaws, both with respect to customer service/advice and quality. I did break one blade, but that's because it came off the tyres owing to some stupidity of mine.
However, as far as sheer value for money goes, I can't beat the blade Axminster sent me as a free sample. It cuts as well as a Tuffsaw, but represents infinite value for money.

skipdiver":10yxwak3 said:
I emailed Tuffsaws well over a week ago with a couple of questions and have not received a reply.

After making this post last night, i received a message from Ian at Tuffsaws and he had indeed replied to my email. It ended up in my spam mail box which i didn't check, so the fault was entirely my own. He supplied all the info i asked for and i will be making some orders in the new year. As others have suggested, the customer service is indeed very good and much better than my email checking capabilities, so kudos and apologies to Ian.

NazNomad":hogzdwwn said:
What are the best alternatives to Tuffsaws bandsaw blades?

Following incorrect blade lengths sent, welds breaking more than once, I thought I'd try someone else.
he has had personal problems lately and as you say some blades have been sent out short an email soon got it sorted and a new blade arrived a few days later. We cannot all be on the ball all of the time. Hired help is not always as diligent.

Wildman":2t1ri8y8 said:
We cannot all be on the ball all of the time. Hired help is not always as diligent.

Very true, but customers will always vote with their feet.

Apologies for digging out an old thread but it seemed very relevant to what I was searching for. Currently fancy trying an alternative to Tuffsaws.

I've just had another blade break at the weld.

First time I admittedly did everything wrong, cutting too thin stock, cutting MDF, blade lasted 10 months and broke at the weld.

This time, got the right TPI, made sure I setup everything perfect, no MDF, slow feed rate, cutting 8mm thick pine, the blade has snapped again at the weld, only used the blade a few weeks.

I know there's a lot of fans of Tuffsaws here but I can't feeling bit disappointed.

First thing i would say is that i am not a fan boy for anybody.
I think that the fact that you say your first blade lasted 10 months with your abuse is testement to it's quality.
Have you spoken to tuffsaws about the problem with your 2nd blade before posting on here?

I have a starrett on my machine at present which is lasting well. I also have an Axminster narrow blade, which has done less work than the starrett but is also performing well.

DennisCA":2ahk16kp said:
There's a swedish maker of bandsaw blades, next time my bandsaw blades break I will order a replacement from there and see how it compares. I did just order 3 replacement metal cutting blades from there for my milwaukee portaband, cheaper than buying a 3pcs set from a big box store.

So I get to support local manufacture, small business and save money.

I'm a bit disappointed in these to be honest, I am on my third blade now and I have used this portaband sparingly, I've in my opinion gotten very little use out of each blade. Next time I'll try tuffsaws.

powertools":1d9okzl1 said:
First thing i would say is that i am not a fan boy for anybody.
I think that the fact that you say your first blade lasted 10 months with your abuse is testement to it's quality.

True. But you could also say a blade used with care and a good setup, breaking at the weld after 2 months (of not even heavy use, it's more like 2-3 weeks use) is a sign that something isn't right.

powertools":1d9okzl1 said:
Have you spoken to tuffsaws about the problem with your 2nd blade before posting on here?

I haven't to be honest. I wouldn't know what to say. I'm not really interesting in fishing for a free replacement blade. I just want one that's going to last more than a few weeks, hence me looking for alternatives. It's a 1/4" 10 tpi £9 super tuff carbon blade, maybe they're not meant to last too long?

Maybe I ought to try the more expensive bi-metal ones.

"Hello Ian, I've had one of your blades snap at the weld. I've only used it briefly"

Give him chance to rectify it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

OscarG":39d3day3 said:
I haven't to be honest. I wouldn't know what to say. I'm not really interesting in fishing for a free replacement blade. I just want one that's going to last more than a few weeks, hence me looking for alternatives. It's a 1/4" 10 tpi £9 super tuff carbon blade, maybe they're not meant to last too long?

Maybe I ought to try the more expensive bi-metal ones.

Maybe you should give the supplier the feedback and ask their advice.

There may be more appropriate blades for your machine and/or usage.

Some machines, particularly the cheap, small three wheeled bandsaws for example, go through blades at a rate of knots as the three wheel design means the blade has to go round narrow diameter curves and will particularly stress the welded joints, especially on narrow blades where the area to weld isn't that large to start with.

Your machine may not be one of those of course, but the idea of dialogue, feedback, advice etc then decision making is a sensible approach for the benefit of the customer and the supplier I would have thought :)

Take your point about the 3 wheeled machine but I'm not using anything like that. I've got a 10" Record Power BS250.

Will drop them a line, see what they say.

I just got a very nice email from Ian at Tuffsaws, promising me he'd send out a replacement blade tomorrow.

I feel a bit of a . digging up this thread now.

I still don't know if the problem is me, the blade or the machine but one thing for sure the customer service at Tuffsaws is incredible.

Just to add a bit of perspective. My brother runs a manufacturing facility where they use bandsaws constantly to cut all kinds of material including alloys and composites. They buy bandsaw blades on the reel in vast quantities and they cut and weld the blades themselves using a commercial machine. I asked him about breaks at the welds and he said "it's a fact of life that some will break at the weld before the blade becomes too dull to use - maybe 10%." This is with experts who do it day in day out.

Blades will occasionally break. We need to accept this and focus instead on whether or not we get good customer service. I expect that Ian at Tuffsaws buys his blades in just like everyone else does so the "Tuffsaw blades are best" stuff is probably nonsense: he is not a blade manufacturer. He differentiates himself by giving helpful advice on the optimum blade for jobs, and for your saw, and by providing good customer service.

OscarG":3l91bjg0 said:
I just got a very nice email from Ian at Tuffsaws, promising me he'd send out a replacement blade tomorrow.

I feel a bit of a . digging up this thread now.

I still don't know if the problem is me, the blade or the machine but one thing for sure the customer service at Tuffsaws is incredible.

I don't think you need to feel a . for digging up this old thread but i do think that people need to have contact with their suppliers before putting negative comments on the internet. I also think that with all the positive comments that tuffsaws gets on here they should have a bit of interaction.

AJB Temple":mus0n2m4 said:
I expect that Ian at Tuffsaws buys his blades in just like everyone else does so the "Tuffsaw blades are best" stuff is probably nonsense: he is not a blade manufacturer. He differentiates himself by giving helpful advice on the optimum blade for jobs, and for your saw, and by providing good customer service.

Of course he buys in, but very carefully, and his blades (the ones I have) aren't the older profiles - They're thinner kerf, skip tooth, etc. They used to be uncommon, now they're not so much. Other people are realising that it's not a cash cow , and raising their game (i.e improving the quality).

I believe (but it's a very long time since I spoke to him) that he's chosen his supplier for quality first and foremost. I have had better finish from his blades, too, than the run-of-the-mill (literally!) stuff.

Latest posts

Back