Good alternatives to Tuffsaws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the best alternatives to Tuffsaws bandsaw blades?

Following incorrect blade lengths sent, welds breaking more than once, I thought I'd try someone else.

I had one of axminsters free ones they gave away on here a while ago and it was very good.

They were bimetal M42 steel blades....very expensive and much more robust than normal bandsaw blades....not a fair comparison. Tuffsaws do M42 also, less expensive than Axy but still more than normal carbon steel blades. They last 5-10 times longer than carbon steel before blunting and can handle the odd nail apparently.

They come in around the £40 mark whereas Carbon steel are closer to £15 length dependent of course.

If Tuffsaw blades have given you problems I strongly recommend you simply telephone Ian. I've had one go at the weld before now and he sent me a free replacement by return of post. His service is top notch. In fact, you're the first person I've EVER heard that's complained about his service. It's your choice of course but if it were me I'd give him a call and the chance to make good as knowing him like I do....he will.

I bought an m42 blade from tuffsaws and haven't bought anything else since. It just keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going some more.
I'm very surprised you'd be looking elsewhere but can understand you're a little frustrated. Axy blades do the job, but I found they didn't hold an edge very long. I had to keep one Axy blade for just straight ripping and another of the same size for doing curvy stuff. Tuffsaw blades do either very well with ease !

Coley

+1 for all the positive Tuffsaws comments above.

I'm only a hobbyist with a really small table top band saw but every other blade I tried before finding Tuffsaws (from this Forum) was either "carpier" or much more expensive - usually both!

Personally I wouldn't bother with anything else now.

AES

NazNomad":25fsr814 said:
What are the best alternatives to Tuffsaws bandsaw blades?

Following incorrect blade lengths sent, welds breaking more than once, I thought I'd try someone else.

If you require the very best quality, stay with Tuffsaw. Just give a call and problams are usually solved quickly. I do feel that you will be dissapointed in trying anyone else.

Just one question, have you called him about the problems?
Malcolm

Beau":bnd9tbqz said:
I have used these guys for some years and never found the need to change suppliers. http://www.trucutbandsaws.co.uk/

Always good to hear of more good BS blade suppliers, just had a quick look but no prices for my Hammer blades at 3980mm, might give them a shout next week.

Cheers Peter

I do tend to buy from tuffsaws but I must say that every one has broken at the weld
But I consider I've had my money's worth out of it so its retired
I have a few suppliers/makers in Sheffield but it depends what stock they hold as to whether I buy from them
Ian holds a wide selection of stock which if I want a special blade he gets my business but at the end of the day all he does is buys in stock cuts it and welds it which is all that all bandsaw makers do

I had a"problem" over blade length from tuffsaws, but a discussion with Ian made me understand that lengths have to vary by a couple mm, if the desired length and tooth combination meant there would be a half tooth or double tooth at the join.
I snapped some welds when I first started bandsawing, but found that I was massively over tightening the blades.
Talk to Ian, and ensure your blade is not too tight.

we are guilty on this forum of recommending a single source for supply of items, to the exclusion of all others- in this case bandsaw blades, but there are other examples too. I have had good blades from tuffsaws, but also had good ones from axi and a starrett branded one from somewhere. There are plenty of suppliers out there.

I get my bandsaw blades from North London Saws http://www.nlstools.co.uk/. They sell carbon steel blades or bi metal (M42) if you want them to really last. I tend to get the cheaper ones and get them sharpened regularly. I drive past them on my way too and from work so have never really considered another supplier, they also supply all my saw blades and some router bits. They do a mail order service

Prior to purchasing from Ian I used to get my blades from http://www.trucutbandsaws.co.uk/
Can't remember ever having quality issues.

Just go with Ian now as he has always been more than helpful with advice and accommodating with specific cutting requirements for both wood and metal.

Peter Sefton":2om8n1hx said:
I have had a blade break from Tuff, the wrong size from Hamilton and poor quality from Axi, two of which sorted the problem out, one I didn't bother with again. We all make mistakes but it's how they get dealt with that matters.

I look forward to trying someone new.

Cheers Peter

This is the truth, you can't expect anyone to be infallible. It what they do when it goes wrong that is the most important.

and that's the thing with Ian, I also had one go at the weld, he didn't even blink, just said it's in the post that day, no charge for anything, didn't even ask to see the faulty blade. It arrived the next day. Can't say fairer than that.

The axi blade I bought for a second hand RP BS250 literally trasformed the saw from barely usable to resawing 4 inch thick teak flawlessly, would definitely recommend them. I will try tuffsaw the next time though.

Latest posts

Back