Glass inlay felt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone i have made a small table with a glass inlay top and i have routed a rebate to hold the glass and rather than have the glass sat straight on to the oak is there any type of sticky back rubber or felt to put down first if so where could this be purchased? :)

Halfords used to sell a adhesive rubber strip about 6mm wide for fixing trim to bodywork etc. It comes in a reel similar to draught seal.

Assuming that whatever you use will be visible through the glass, you could use leather - a good shoe shop will sell long leather bootlaces which might be suitable.

Another alternative would be self-adhesive pads of clear grippy plastic - I've seen them used for glass tops but don't know a source.

I made an oak coffee table with a large glass insert as you describe and decided it was best not to use any form of support underneath. As Phil said, anything sticky is just going to accumulate debris and will also be visible between the glass and the rebate. Leather may work well, but I was concerned that any high spots would temp the glass to shatter. If the rebate is level you shouldn't have any problem. Is the glass you've used toughened or not?

If you want to use clear "spots" I suggest you use those little buffers you stck to kitchen cupboard doors . carcase.
Cheap as chips from most DIY stores.

Bob

Back