Quantcast

Getting a Will witnessed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2004
Messages
11,713
Reaction score
54
Location
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
I do have a Will, but I want to change a bit of it and, given the current circumstances, that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I can easily edit it on my computer, but it will have no validity unless it is witnessed by two people. Given that I live alone, don't want to go out and don't want to invite anyone over, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can get two people to witness my signature?
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,289
Reaction score
36
Location
In the eternally wet North
Steve Maskery":1iwb8rc8 said:
I do have a Will, but I want to change a bit of it and, given the current circumstances, that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I can easily edit it on my computer, but it will have no validity unless it is witnessed by two people. Given that I live alone, don't want to go out and don't want to invite anyone over, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can get two people to witness my signature?
Mission impossible, Steve. Wait until you can go back out again.
 

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
10,105
Reaction score
143
Location
Leeds
How are you getting groceries? If you are going to tesco, ask a couple of people in there.

Just beware that a witness cannot be a beneficiary so if you have left something to person X and they do come and see you, don't let them be a witness.
 

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
5,413
Reaction score
55
Location
Leicestershire
I think If you declare on this forum you are leaving it all to me, that would be valid.
 

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2004
Messages
11,713
Reaction score
54
Location
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
marcros":l3k974p1 said:
How are you getting groceries? If you are going to tesco, ask a couple of people in there.
I've not yet had to go out to get groceries. I have a bit of fresh stuff, but you don't get through a lot on your own. My head of broccoli is on the turn, sadly, but I still have carrots, parsnips, cabbage, eggs and milk. An end-of-life leek, too. Maybe it's time for soup :)

marcros":l3k974p1 said:
Just beware that a witness cannot be a beneficiary so if you have left something to person X and they do come and see you, don't let them be a witness.
I think I must have known that, once upon a time, but I had forgotten. Thank you for the reminder.

Lurker - nice try :)
Actually, I hereby declare that Lurker can have my entire collection of pencils.
 

Yojevol

Wooden tit be nice... ♪♪♪♪♪♪
Joined
29 Jan 2017
Messages
526
Reaction score
65
Location
Cheltenham
Choose your 2 witnesses making sure they, as well as you, can use the Zoom app or similar. Set up a conference meeting so that they can witness you signing. Post the document to them to sign. Make sure they date their signatures appropriately. I'm available.
Brian
 

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Joined
17 Nov 2018
Messages
586
Reaction score
132
Location
North Yorkshire
Yojevol":cmvi8sgz said:
Choose your 2 witnesses making sure they, as well as you, can use the Zoom app or similar. Set up a conference meeting so that they can witness you signing. Post the document to them to sign. Make sure they date their signatures appropriately. I'm available.
Brian
I think you will find that the two witnesses have to be present.
 

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
10,105
Reaction score
143
Location
Leeds
There is a lot of case law covering the rules, but I imagine that Skype and zoom are too modern. I wouldn't want to rely using it just in case.
 

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Joined
18 Jun 2006
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
68
Location
Saskatoon, SK., Canada
I would think you could get in touch with the local police through the non emergency number to make arrangements to meet outside somewhere (in your driveway for example) such that they could see you sign and they each in turn do the same from a safe distance of a couple metres. Worst they can do is tell you no.

Pete
 

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2004
Messages
11,713
Reaction score
54
Location
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Already tried that that. We do have a non-emergency number, but it didn't get answered, so I figured they were already rushed of their feet and this could wait. I might try again in the middle of the night. We used to have a couple of PCSOs doing the rounds, but I've not seen them for a couple of years, they probably got the ideological chop. If they are about, perhaps they could call to check that a slightly bonkers, borderline elderly gentleman, living alone, is OK, and by the way, have you got a pen?
:)
 

Flynnwood

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
Location
Bedfordshire
I have no idea if this would stand up, but for now (at least) I did this:

SIGNED by nnn on the 22nd day of March 2020. Due to Social Distance measures in place on this day, my signing of my WILL can NOT be witnessed.

(I will update that to witnesses by signature if/when that moment arrives.)

Stay clean and apart, it's 4 metres for me. An associate is working in a volume car manufacturer warehouse that is difficult to maintain 1.5 metres apart. The next weeks / months! My view is that 250,000 ventilators are needed over the summer based on Dr John Campbells YouTube Channel and the numbers. 80% infected of which 5 % need critical care of 70m population equals 2.8 million (over this time).

And look at taking VIT D. The data he presents is defo worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yVGmfivAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sy3gtORANw
 

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2004
Messages
11,713
Reaction score
54
Location
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Blackswanwood":19a2fqtr said:
Are you joking about asking the emergency services?
Well, the non-emergency community services, yes. They used to do the rounds. They support the community. I wasn't going to ring 999!
 

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2017
Messages
957
Reaction score
6
Location
Suffolk
I don't see why you couldn't use a video conference to see it. The witnesses only need to be able to see you sign it.

You could do it and record the conference and stick it on a usb stick with the will.

Alternatively, can't you get your neighbours round and watch you sign it through the conservatory window, and then sign it and post it back through the letterbox?

.
 

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Joined
17 Nov 2018
Messages
586
Reaction score
132
Location
North Yorkshire
Steve Maskery":1zqnlx9l said:
Blackswanwood":1zqnlx9l said:
Are you joking about asking the emergency services?
Well, the non-emergency community services, yes. They used to do the rounds. They support the community. I wasn't going to ring 999!
Okay … personally it’s not what I see them as being there for but perhaps I’m out of touch.
 
Top