Getting a Will witnessed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I do have a Will, but I want to change a bit of it and, given the current circumstances, that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I can easily edit it on my computer, but it will have no validity unless it is witnessed by two people. Given that I live alone, don't want to go out and don't want to invite anyone over, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can get two people to witness my signature?

Steve Maskery":1iwb8rc8 said:
I do have a Will, but I want to change a bit of it and, given the current circumstances, that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I can easily edit it on my computer, but it will have no validity unless it is witnessed by two people. Given that I live alone, don't want to go out and don't want to invite anyone over, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can get two people to witness my signature?

Mission impossible, Steve. Wait until you can go back out again.

How are you getting groceries? If you are going to tesco, ask a couple of people in there.

Just beware that a witness cannot be a beneficiary so if you have left something to person X and they do come and see you, don't let them be a witness.

marcros":l3k974p1 said:
How are you getting groceries? If you are going to tesco, ask a couple of people in there.
I've not yet had to go out to get groceries. I have a bit of fresh stuff, but you don't get through a lot on your own. My head of broccoli is on the turn, sadly, but I still have carrots, parsnips, cabbage, eggs and milk. An end-of-life leek, too. Maybe it's time for soup :)

marcros":l3k974p1 said:
Just beware that a witness cannot be a beneficiary so if you have left something to person X and they do come and see you, don't let them be a witness.
I think I must have known that, once upon a time, but I had forgotten. Thank you for the reminder.

Lurker - nice try :)
Actually, I hereby declare that Lurker can have my entire collection of pencils.

Choose your 2 witnesses making sure they, as well as you, can use the Zoom app or similar. Set up a conference meeting so that they can witness you signing. Post the document to them to sign. Make sure they date their signatures appropriately. I'm available.
Brian

Yojevol":cmvi8sgz said:
Choose your 2 witnesses making sure they, as well as you, can use the Zoom app or similar. Set up a conference meeting so that they can witness you signing. Post the document to them to sign. Make sure they date their signatures appropriately. I'm available.
Brian

I think you will find that the two witnesses have to be present.

There is a lot of case law covering the rules, but I imagine that Skype and zoom are too modern. I wouldn't want to rely using it just in case.

I would think you could get in touch with the local police through the non emergency number to make arrangements to meet outside somewhere (in your driveway for example) such that they could see you sign and they each in turn do the same from a safe distance of a couple metres. Worst they can do is tell you no.

Pete

Already tried that that. We do have a non-emergency number, but it didn't get answered, so I figured they were already rushed of their feet and this could wait. I might try again in the middle of the night. We used to have a couple of PCSOs doing the rounds, but I've not seen them for a couple of years, they probably got the ideological chop. If they are about, perhaps they could call to check that a slightly bonkers, borderline elderly gentleman, living alone, is OK, and by the way, have you got a pen?
:)

I have no idea if this would stand up, but for now (at least) I did this:

SIGNED by nnn on the 22nd day of March 2020. Due to Social Distance measures in place on this day, my signing of my WILL can NOT be witnessed.

(I will update that to witnesses by signature if/when that moment arrives.)

Stay clean and apart, it's 4 metres for me. An associate is working in a volume car manufacturer warehouse that is difficult to maintain 1.5 metres apart. The next weeks / months! My view is that 250,000 ventilators are needed over the summer based on Dr John Campbells YouTube Channel and the numbers. 80% infected of which 5 % need critical care of 70m population equals 2.8 million (over this time).

And look at taking VIT D. The data he presents is defo worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yVGmfivAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sy3gtORANw

Blackswanwood":19a2fqtr said:
Are you joking about asking the emergency services?

Well, the non-emergency community services, yes. They used to do the rounds. They support the community. I wasn't going to ring 999!

I don't see why you couldn't use a video conference to see it. The witnesses only need to be able to see you sign it.

You could do it and record the conference and stick it on a usb stick with the will.

Alternatively, can't you get your neighbours round and watch you sign it through the conservatory window, and then sign it and post it back through the letterbox?

Steve Maskery":1zqnlx9l said:
Blackswanwood":1zqnlx9l said:
Are you joking about asking the emergency services?

Well, the non-emergency community services, yes. They used to do the rounds. They support the community. I wasn't going to ring 999!

Okay … personally it’s not what I see them as being there for but perhaps I’m out of touch.

Back