General opinion on powered vs non-powered respirators?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beech1948":2l8rhrda said:
For those who wear spectacles the Sundstrom/Moldex full face types do not allow specs under them as the seal is broken.

What do you use if you wear specs. I currently have a Sundstrom 1/2 mask and wear a cheap face protection mask from Toolstation so that I can wear my specs.

??
That's what I like about the positive pressure designs (like the Trend Airshield) - there's a loose seal around the face, but unless you really take in a huge deep breath in one go, you're always going to be breathing in air that's come through the filters.

Said it elsewhere but I got a 6700 mask and it never fogs over and I can wear it a whole day. Not pleasant if you got a beard though, it motivates me to shave.

Edit: My response was aimed at the OP but I see now its a pretty old thread.

Twistedidge":2sntm02r said:
Batteries or compressor that is the question?
The very best battery powered face shields and filters are the patterns that you wear at the waist and have a lightweight impact resistant hood.
They are the most comfortable for long periods and the filter system is as removed from the dust source as possible when working on a lathe.
They are not cheap, expect to see figures between £300-500 dependant upon make/model.
But new lungs are even more expensive to find.

I have not found a battery powered mask that would not last a whole day in the workshop, and I have reviewed several.

Here is and old thread showing type
The model shown is unfortunately no longer available but there are several other manufactures that produce the equivalent.

Be very cautious of compressor fed masks, the air supply must be fed through the appropriate filters to ensure you are not breathing oil or other contaminants, never use the airline direct off a shop compressor without correct filters.

Heres a link to the one Richard Findley was using a couple of years ago, don't know if it's the pattern he now uses and shown in recent magazine articles.

Could drop him a PM or e-mail to confirm if he does not see this thread.

CHJ":235rdn33 said:
Be very cautious of compressor fed masks, the air supply must be fed through the appropriate filters to ensure you are not breathing oil or other contaminants, never use the airline direct off a shop compressor without correct filters.

Chas makes a very good point here.

The filtration for a compressor fed air fed mask has to be very very good. You need carbon filters, moisture trap/filters, oil separating filters and ideally a cooler. The brother in law changes his carbon filter that's in the belt every 2-3 months, however he does use it everyday for 3-6 hours a day in a spray booth.
It's not just a simple matter of getting a mask and connecting to your compressor at home, you can do yourself some serious damage.

Can't add much more than I said in the thread Chas linked to. I still use the JSP Jetstream daily and find it gives excellent protection, and is a good wieght so no neck strains, it's also the best option for speccy beardies :lol: :wink: . Cheapest option if you aren't a glasses wearer is a 3M spray mask with a face shield which would total about £30. The Jetstream is more like £400. Either way, protection is needed!

Richard

CHJ":3e8nlj9f said:
The very best battery powered face shields and filters are the patterns that you wear at the waist and have a lightweight impact resistant hood.
They are the most comfortable for long periods and the filter system is as removed from the dust source as possible when working on a lathe.
They are not cheap, expect to see figures between £300-500 dependant upon make/model.
But new lungs are even more expensive to find.
Agreed. The Trend is very good, but the weight means that if you lean over a worktop it can sometimes move, and having the motor on the back of your head can be loud. I'd love a "separates" system but couldn't stretch to the 3M offerings at the time. However, I think the filtration of the Trend was as good - it's just the convenience and comfort of the split systems that wins the day.

n0legs":3e8nlj9f said:
CHJ":3e8nlj9f said:

Chas makes a very good point here.

The filtration for a compressor fed air fed mask has to be very very good. You need carbon filters, moisture trap/filters, oil separating filters and ideally a cooler. The brother in law changes his carbon filter that's in the belt every 2-3 months, however he does use it everyday for 3-6 hours a day in a spray booth.
It's not just a simple matter of getting a mask and connecting to your compressor at home, you can do yourself some serious damage.
Absolutely. I was lucky enough to score a good quality (brand new) airfed mask from eBay some years ago, but never got round to using it because I realised you needed all the extra filtration. Oh, and my compressor wouldn't have handled the mask + gun, so it wasn't perhaps my best thought out purchase.

I have been using the 3M dustmaster for a couple of years and have found they work pretty good. I had two units which I would rotate and always had a fully charged one. The battery life was good. The problem I had with this model was I could only find P2 filters. And the main issue now is after a couple of years of use the batteries are knackered and wont hold a charge. To replace them its £200.
I now use a sundstrom mask with P3 filters

Tetsuaiga":9szst0j3 said:
What's the difference between 7500 and 7502? Does it refer to the filters?

7500 is the name of series, 7501/7502/7503 small/medium/large sizes codes.

I have had a Racal Airlite for a long time and it is on its last legs.I wish I could buy another,but they are no longer available.The Airstream,with integral hard hat seemed a bit more cumbersome and having tried the Trend,I am not enamoured of it.I will be buying one of the powered systems before too long and wish I could get one with a more durable power source than NiCads.

CHJ":1c04aehc said:
I have not found a battery powered mask that would not last a whole day in the workshop, and I have reviewed several..

I should ask my dad what he uses, he is a greenhouse farmer and in the 90s developed mold allergies, which greenhouses are rife with, since then he has worn a type of mask with a fan and filter on a belt and he can have 12 hour workdays sometimes or more.

Latest posts

Back