Garage Doors - need to raise the opening edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebray

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to everybody,
My first post and unfortunately it is a question :?: .
I have just had a brand new driveway installed - the new driveway level is higher than the old one and I can't open my garage (OK it's really my workshop) doors fully.
I need to make new doors and jambs anyway and what I want to do is fit some kind of hinge arrangement to the new doors and jambs which will allow the bottom of the opening edge of a door to lift up by at least 30mm (but not more than 40 mm) over a distance of 1040mm (the width of a door).
I've tried insetting the top hinge and 'outsetting' the bottom Tee hinges on an existing door but it doesn't really do much to help.
I'm now wondering if a combination of rising butt hinges allied with insetting and outsetting these hinges would do the trick or if inclining the tops of new jambs backwards would also help.
I don't want a canopy style of garage door.

Many Thanks
Dave

It's a bad day if you don't learn something

Hi Dennis,
Unfortunately no. :(
There is a gulley with a metal grill cover (ATCO drain ?) directly across the whole front of the garage which diverts rain water flowing down the drive away from the garage to a new drainage gulley at the corner of my garage and new patio area.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dennis , i had a simalar prob a while ago for one of my customers, what i did was to use apair of Hooks and Band hinges and i put a pair of spare hooks upside down over the other hooks and i used a sprung wheel at the bottom of each door, so that when the door opened it would rise up and force the hinge to travel up the hooks with out coming off . It did the job fine for me as the drive had an inclimb of about 50 mm , not sure if your job as an inclimb or step. Anyway just an idea for you. Phil.

hmmmmm...........I'd be tempted to get the people back who laid the new driveway, and get them to do it again properly!

I agree, the problem is the drive way not the door

If the drive is going up that steep then the water will go with such force down to your garage door that it will most likely flow into your garage (it will go over your gully)

So you need (if you keep the driveway) a 30 to 40 mill ramp

The best thing is to have a flat surface infront of the garage, looks better

Thanks for all your replies gentlemen.
I've been considering getting the driveway company back in to sort this out.

As an aside and no comment is needed on this as it is not at all woodwork related.
To get the levels right I think they would need to lift all the 160 m2 of driveway and 35 m2 of patio. Break out the haunchings and then dig the sub-base out and then dig down further. Put new haunchings in, re-lay the sub-base and re-lay the paviors and paving etc. This would be one hell of job. To give my request for rectification works some weight I am inclined to commission a surveyor to survey the driveway etc. and produce a report with recommendations. If the report recommendations are similar to my thoughts then I can confidently ask them to return to do the job right and if any problems then I would just invoke my legal insurance under my household insurance policy.

Regards to all
Dave

It's a bad day if you don't learn something

Back